Unconventional Advice for '18s

By Jessica Zischke, The Dartmouth Senior Staff | 8/8/14 3:21pm

As summer term winds down, the imminent arrival of a whole new Dartmouth class is starting to dawn on the rest of the student body. You may be feeling nostalgic, looking back to those last months before you came to campus, reading through The D’s freshman issue and panicking over the possibilities for your future roommate. Back then, your knowledge of Dartmouth was confined to what was present in the mass media and maybe some tidbits of advice from your Dimensions host or an older sibling or friend who went here. And now you, the ’18s, are experiencing similar sentiments. However, there are some things the freshmen issue won’t tell you, and things your siblings or friends wouldn’t think to tell you. But don’t worry, Dartbeat has your back.

PSA: This list ended up being much more real than my planned absurdity. Clearly nostalgia is hitting and I’m in denial about the limited time I have left here.

1. Switch to the BlockChoice 5 or SmartChoice 45 meal plans as soon as possible, unless you’re an avid FoCo-goer. I vividly remember the one week during freshman fall when I actually succeeded in using all 20 meal swipes.

2. On that note, branch out from FoCo as often as possible. Variety is the spice of life, so they say. Collis pasta and Hop breakfast items are things you should want in your life for as long as possible, so don’t delay the discovery.

3. If you’re attempting to blend in with the rest of the student body, avoid ‘shmobs. Although there isn’t any real negativity associated with ‘shmobs, it’s always a little rough when you enter FoCo just behind one and then have to wait 20 minutes while everyone swipes in.

4. Don’t sign up to get blitzes from every booth at the volunteer fair, student activities fair or any other large event. Try to get out of your comfort zone, but also be realistic about how much time you have and what you want to devote it to. Take it from someone who signed up for a million different lists and still tells herself “Maybe I’ll get involved with that soon” every time a blitz pops up (and then promptly forgets about it).

5. Similarly, don’t overload yourself during your first term on campus. College is a big transition! You need free time to bond with new friends and make sure you’re taking care of your wellbeing. This isn’t high school; you’re so much more than just what you do on this campus.

6. Don’t be afraid if you don’t love it here. It takes time to get used to new things, and even though there will be people who can’t seem to get enough of this campus, you don’t need to be one of them and you shouldn’t feel any less a part of this community for that.

7. It’s okay to not be okay! You may or may not have heard of the tendency for Dartmouth students to always say they’re good or fine, but being honest when people ask how you’re doing will make your relationships much stronger and deeper.

Jessica Zischke, The Dartmouth Senior Staff