Songs of the Summer: 14X

By Jessica Avitabile, The Dartmouth Staff | 8/13/14 12:00pm

Every Dartmouth term has certain songs that define the quarter and will always bring you back to a great afternoon by the river or a midnight snowball fight, and 14X is no exception. Here’s Dartbeat’s rundown, in no particular order, of iconic sophomore summer 2014 songs:

“All About That Bass” by Meghan Trainor
This song is so catchy and upbeat that it makes all of us want to live in whatever pastel-colored kingdom Trainor is dancing in for the song's enchanting music video. And with its message about positive body image, it was, of course, a prime choice for a performance at the Tabard’s “Lingerie.”

“Problem” by Ariana Grande, featuring Iggy Azalea
While the debate over an alleged copycat scenario between Ariana Grande and Mariah Carey rages on, Grande’s spot on this list is clear. From working out to dancing in a frat, this song is perfect for all pump-up situations.

“Riptide” by Vance Joy
Let’s just hope no one gets caught in a riptide while attempting the Ledyard Challenge. The song’s light acoustic windings are the best soundtrack for an afternoon of tanning at the swimming docks or your ride to the copper mines.

“Boom Clap” by Charli XCX
I may still be crying from “The Fault in Our Stars,” but I’ve still had this song playing on repeat all summer. The perfect burst of energy, it’s a great soundtrack for the start of your summer night.

“Chandelier” by Sia
I definitely can’t be the only one who was excited to see Maddie of “Dance Moms” make it big in a haunting performance in Sia’s music video. Despite the song’s darker message, it has still been a summer favorite and is just right for a studying-on-the-Green playlist.

“Wiggle” by Jason Derulo, featuring Snoop Dogg
Though essentially just an ode to the female derriere, the song, in Saussy’s summer repertoire, is perfect for a good dance party.

“Hope You Get Lonely Tonight” by Cole Swindell
At least one country song had to make it onto this list, and this one has the warmth of a Hanover night roasting s'mores by a bonfire.

“Summer” by Calvin Harris
What better way to create a summer hit than to name the song “Summer?” While perhaps less memorable than some of the other songs on this list, “Summer” provided the cool background music to 14X. It was there with you as you roadtripped to campus or settled into your flight — your prelude and now your outro to sophomore summer.

“Rather Be” by Clean Bandit, featuring Jess Glynne
We can all agree that there is no place we’d rather be than at the College on the Hill this summer. Long live 14X, may it never die.

Jessica Avitabile, The Dartmouth Staff