Nearby Summer Concerts You Can't Miss

By Jessica Zischke, The Dartmouth Senior Staff | 8/4/14 6:53am

Summer is full of music festivals and outdoor concerts, although you may have forgotten this living in the Hanover bubble this term. However, there are some fantastic concerts near campus in the next two months that’ll have you scrambling for tickets. Take the opportunity to get off campus, make a weekend out of it with friends and enjoy some great music! Here are some of the best concerts in August and September that you should be sure to mark on your calendars.

Kings of Leon with Young the Giant, Aug. 26, 7 p.m., Bank of New Hampshire Pavilion at Meadowbrook in Meadowbrook, NH
This venue is just an hour and a half to the east of Dartmouth and is packed with fantastic entertainment all summer long. Indie rock band Young the Giant hit the mainstream radio waves in the past couple of years, and chances are you still come across “Cough Syrup” and “My Body” on iTunes shuffle. Kings of Leon, a rock band from Nashville, will headline the concert. They’ve received critical acclaim and have raked in an impressive amount of awards for songs like "Sex on Fire" and "Use Somebody." Although their concert reviews have been mixed as of late, the band’s unique blend of alternative rock and blues will keep you entertained.

MisterWives, Aug. 29, 8:30 p.m., The Sinclair in Cambridge, MA
Whether you missed them over Green Key or can’t get enough, seeing any band for $12 is pretty much a steal. Although they’ve only been playing together for a year and a half, MisterWives has quickly made a name for itself in the music world. The band had its first national tour at the end of last year and then toured for a short time with American Authors and The Royal Concept. Go see them and just try to get their upbeat sound out of your head – the venue is just a two-and-a-half-hour coach ride or drive away.

Lady Antebellum, Aug. 31, 7 p.m., Bank of New Hampshire Pavilion at Meadowbrook in Meadowbrook, NH
There’s no time like the summer for country music, and just because this is after the term ends doesn’t mean you get to forget that. Billy Currington and Joe Nichols will kick off the party with their catchy and electrifying tunes. Ever since the group stepped onto the scene, Lady Antebellum has become a giant in country music. If you haven’t had a chance to see these talented musicians perform live yet, now is the time.

Honda Civic tour: Grouplove and Portugal. The Man, Sept. 14, 7 p.m., Bank of America Pavilion, Boston, MA
Grouplove has previously performed at some of the top music festivals in the nation, including Bonnaroo, Lollapalooza and Coachella. Although you probably haven’t downloaded any of their songs since “Tongue Tied,” you’ve likely heard them in “The Fault In Our Stars” (2014) and “Girls.” They’ll be hitting the stage with rock band Portugal. The Man, who’ve toured with The Black Keys and Play Radio Play.

Boston Calling Music Festival, Sept. 5-7, City Hall Plaza, Boston, MA
If there’s one concert worth the trip this summer, Boston Calling is it. These three days are jam-packed with fantastic musicians — headliners include The National, Lorde and Nas x The Roots. You’ll also find some of your favorite up-and-coming artists, including The 1975, Sky Ferreira and Girl Talk. So go find that perfect festival outfit and get ready for a star-studded lineup!

Jessica Zischke, The Dartmouth Senior Staff