Tube Talk: Winter TV Preview

By Jessica Zischke, The Dartmouth Staff | 1/8/14 9:00am

Over the six-week winter break, you probably had ample time to finally catch up on all the shows you wanted to watch. But now you’re left with a feeling of astounding loneliness; the drama, vampires and laughs that filled your days on Hulu and Netflix are gone. A-ha! Not so fast. The winter season of TV shows is already underway, bringing back some of your very best friends and some new faces to a computer screen near you (probably right in front of you, actually)! Here on Dartbeat we’ve rounded up the premieres you can’t miss and those that might be as disappointing as KAF closing early.

The Friendly Faces

“Downton Abbey” (PBS) – returns Sun., Jan. 5

The popular British drama picks up six months after the death of beloved Matthew Crawley (Dan Stevens), the husband of Lady Mary, who had just borne a son. In this season, Mary (Michelle Dockery) must choose to defeat her grief or be defeated by it. Writer Julian Fellows is sure to deliver captivating plots for both upstairs and down.

“Brooklyn Nine-Nine” (Fox) – returns Tues., Jan. 7

After a brief hiatus, your favorite comedy-cop show hybrid is back. The rest of its first season guarantees just as many laughs as the first half. “Brooklyn Nine-Nine” will continue to draw in viewers with its witty writing and perfect delivery by Andy Samberg and the rest of the cast.

“New Girl” (Fox) – returns Tues., Jan. 7

If your resolution is to up your Schmidty-ness (and why wouldn’t it be), the mid-season return of “New Girl” is the ideal way to start. While Jess (Zooey Deschanel) struggles to find a job, Schmidt (Max Greenfield) must sort out his feelings for Cece (Hannah Simone) while dealing with his separation anxiety from living across the hall from the rest of the gang.

“Girls” (HBO) – returns Sun., Jan. 12

After a second season that went downhill fast, the third season of this hit show is expected to bring back the light, fun feeling from season one. Lena Dunham told ABC News that this season sees Hannah in a better place than ever before. However, knowing “Girls,” things won’t stay steady for long.

Your New Best Friends

“Ravenswood” (ABC Family) – returns Tues., Jan. 7

If you’re a “Pretty Little Liars” (ABC Family) fan, you may already be watching this spin-off. Although it premiered back in October, “Ravenswood” is back for the second half of its first season. People have said it’s creepier than the parent show but still entertaining and if it’s anything like “Pretty Little Liars,” you’ll be hooked after the first episode.

“Chicago PD” (NBC) – premieres Wed., Jan. 8

NBC is also jumping on the spin-off train with “Chicago PD,” an idea that came out of “Chicago Fire” (NBC). Sergeant Hank Voight (Jason Beghe) was released from jail and has landed one of the best jobs with the Intelligence Unit, but his rough attitude threatens to make his colleagues uncomfortable. If you’re a crime show fan, this is the perfect one to add to your winter list.

“True Detective” (HBO) – premieres Sun., Jan. 12

The buzz for “True Detective” started way back in June and it hasn’t stopped since. The first season follows two detectives (Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson) on the hunt for a serial killer in Louisiana over 17 years. A drop-dead cast and enthralling writing will hold this drama up to high standards, which so far hasn’t let us down.

The Ones Who (Should) Get Away

“The Assets” (ABC) – premieres Thurs., Jan. 2

ABC’s newest drama miniseries taking place during the Cold War premiered to a ratings nose-dive. The CIA period drama received a 0.7 rating among adults aged 18-49, making it the lowest-rated drama premiere ever on one of the big four networks.

“Enlisted” (Fox) – premieres Fri., Jan. 10

This military comedy follows Staff Sergeant Pete Hill (Geoff Stults) in his relocation back to American soil due to punching a superior officer in Afghanistan. Now, he must manage a misfit troop that includes his two younger brothers. However, “Enlisted” must prove it has more depth to the script and dimension to the characters before it can be determined a good watch.

“Intelligence” (CBS) – special preview Tues., Jan. 7; premieres Mon., Jan. 13

CBS’ latest show follows Gabriel Vaughn (Josh Holloway), an intelligence operative who’s relatively normal, save for the super computer microchip implanted in his brain. This high-tech action-adventure has already been criticized for feeling like it was made decades ago, but solid action and a punching dialogue may keep it afloat.

Jessica Zischke, The Dartmouth Staff