Tube Talk: Downton's Best from Season Four Downstairs

By Jessica Zischke, The Dartmouth Staff | 1/22/14 6:00am

Our beloved early 20th century British drama is back, and the first few episodes from season four have given everyone a lot to think about. Chaos has affected both upstairs and down, but the downstairs group has given us hope despite the darkness. So whether you’ve started to question your relationship with “Downton Abbey” or you’re more wrapped up than ever, take a moment to leave behind some of the craziness, and look at this season’s best downstairs moments we’ve seen so far.

Pro tip: go catch up on the first four episodes that have aired (I’m happy to be an enabler here) and then come back to this post for some “Downton” lovin’ to lift your spirits.

This adorable exchange between Anna and Mr. Bates while opening their Valentine’s Day cards. Ah, the good ol’ days.

When Mrs. Patmore revealed herself as Daisy’s secret admirer and you expected Daisy to be upset, but instead she said this:

Mr. Bates lends a helping hand to Mr. Molesley by faking an IOU, and it’s the best excuse for forgery we’ve ever heard.

When Jimmy and Anna danced and laughed together and it made everyone happy.

Due to an injured hand, Jimmy was unable to serve dinner at one of the parties and Mr. Barrows was less than pleased about taking his place. But we all laughed, because it’s Mr. Barrows. Also because what is a “high cockalorum”?!

Despite the fact that she’s now carrying everyone’s dark secrets on her shoulders, Mrs. Hughes surprised Carson with a heartwarming gift to remind him of his lost love.

When Mrs. Hughes told it exactly like it is to Edna and was generally a boss.

And when Edna walks away in a huff, this hilarious exchange between her and Mr. Barrows happened.

Jessica Zischke, The Dartmouth Staff