The Great FoCo Debate

By Samantha Webster | 1/29/14 4:00am

I haven’t eaten a meal on the light side of FoCo in at least four terms. Does that make me a biased reporter, or does that make me a reasonable human being? I mean seriously, who has the time to do their makeup well enough for the glaring brightness of the light side? Or why sit on those flimsy black plastic chairs when you could opt for the lone-pine-crested wooden masterpieces on the dark side?

For anyone who isn’t aware of these delineations, there are generally two identified regions of FoCo (we aren’t even going to get started on the upstairs dining options).

These are:

The “Light Side” also known (logically) as the “South Side” or less frequently, the “Left Side”

The “Dark Side” also known (post-Avicii) as the “North Side” or the “Right Side”

The Five Types of People You Find on the Dark Side of FoCo:

1. The track team — they literally take up all of it. If you haven’t noticed them, you haven’t been looking
  2. Frats in packs — frat gear at its most egregious
  3. Other miscellaneous athletic teams — specifically after evening practices. Frequently found on most weekday nights or after Saturday morning practice
  4. Random packs of three athlete friends — always spotted at those awkwardly tall tables by the drinks. Has anyone else noticed this but me?
  5. All other people who value ambiance and/or facetime

1. Freshman floor dinners
  2. People who can’t find a table elsewhere because it’s 6:30 p.m. on a Wednesday night
  3. No literally, who else?

Samantha Webster