Watching the Ivies

By Marie Plecha, The Dartmouth Staff | 11/11/13 7:00am

BROWN: Brown’s current $4.3 million deficit has concerned administrators as they plan the operating budget for the next fiscal year, according to the Brown Daily Herald. Though this sum is lower than the $5.5 million deficit that Brown sustained at the end of the last fiscal year, the University had hoped to bring the deficit to zero in the last few years, Provost Mark Schlissel said at an open forum last week. University officials did not indicate whether or not this would result in a tuition increase next year.

COLUMBIA: Columbia’s Institute for Research on Women and Gender formally added the clause “and Sexuality” to its name after gaining University Senate approval, according to the Columbia Spectator. The name change was implemented to raise awareness about the research institute’s commitment to sexuality and queer studies, according to Director Alondra Nelson. The change also reflects the institute’s increasing emphasis on sexuality, queer, and masculinity studies in the last few years.

CORNELL: At a Student Assembly meeting last week, Cornell’s President David Skorton highlighted the importance of working together to support campus safety and health, according to the Cornell Sun. Students have recently expressed concern about the lack of walk-in health care services late at night, when victims of sexual assault would most likely need help. While administrators have indicated that reinstating overnight hours at Gannett Health Services is unlikely, Skorton stressed that it is essential for community members to work collaboratively to promote each other’s well-being.

HARVARD: Harvard released its financial report for the 2013 fiscal year last Friday, The Crimson reported. Data shows that the University posted an operating deficit of about $34 million in fiscal year 2013, which represents less than 1 percent of its revenue for the year. Additionally, Harvard experienced a growth in net assets of over 8 percent, demonstrating its continued recovery from losses of the recent financial crisis. Harvard is seeking further relief from its Harvard Campaign fundraising drive, which aims to raise $6.5 billion.

PRINCETON: A group of local residents is challenging Princeton’s status as a property tax-exempt organization, according to the Daily Princetonian. The plaintiffs initially filed the suit in 2011, alleging that Princeton does not qualify for tax breaks because it collects profits from patented products created in its research facilities. The suit aims to lower the tax burden for the rest of the local community, according to plaintiff Ken Fields. A successful challenge to Princeton’s tax status would raise its annual tax bill significantly.

UPENN: Penn’s Admissions Office held an “Ivy in Your Backyard” event for Philadelphia high school students last weekend, according to the Daily Pennsylvanian. Current Penn students helped high school seniors draft college application essays at the event, while high schoolers’ parents attended financial aid workshops. Between 150 and 175 local high school students attended the event. The event represents an initiative by Penn to empower local students and parents to complete the college application process successfully.

YALE: Yale’s Ad-Hoc Committee on Grading dropped the idea of a numerical system as a possibility for grade reform last week, according to Yale Daily News. The proposal to convert grades to a number system had been previously tabled after a contentious debate on the topic last spring. At a faculty meeting last Thursday, grading committee members reported that the most developed reform proposal includes different grading spreads for entry-level, mid-level, and upper-level courses, though nothing has yet been determined conclusively.

Marie Plecha, The Dartmouth Staff