Watching the Ivies

By Marie Plecha, The Dartmouth Staff | 11/4/13 3:32am

Courtesy of the Daily Pennsylvanian

BROWN: Brown University held its annual SexPowerGod dance on Saturday, according to the Brown Daily Herald. The annual event, which is the largest student-run dance held each year at Brown, encourages students to “feel comfortable exploring their bodies and their sexualities without fear of judgment,” the Blog Daily Herald reported. The dance is put on by Brown’s Queer Alliance, and sold about 400 tickets this year.

COLUMBIA: Researchers at Columbia University argue that New York City’s infrastructure remains insecure one year after Hurricane Sandy, according to the Columbia Spectator. The city should work to develop resiliency against long-term vulnerabilities, rather than focusing on “band-aid solutions,” according to School of International and Public Affairs Professor Klaus Jacob. This will require a plan costing over $100 billion, which will be difficult to secure given Washington’s political stagnation, Jacob said.

CORNELL: Cornell University plans to downsize its annual event Filthy/Gorgeous, which aims to raise awareness of the LGBTQ community each spring, according to the Cornell Sun. The event typically includes performers such as drag artists, rappers and go-go dancers. This year’s event will have a smaller budget and will be hosted in a smaller room.

HARVARD: Harvard University’s School of Engineering and Applied Sciences is preparing to make 20 new tenure-track hires, which will increase its faculty by nearly 30 percent, according to the Crimson. The SEAS aims to raise $450 million to fund the new hires through the Campaign for Arts and Science, which is part of the larger Harvard Campaign, a University-wide capital campaign launched in September that seeks to raise $6.5 billion in total. The new SEAS hires will accommodate the school’s increased enrollment in the last five years.

PRINCETON: Members of the LGBT advocacy group Queer Nation protested an event at the Princeton Club of New York, the Daily Princetonian reported. Members disrupted a panel discussion with Russian officials promoting investment in Moscow, protesting Russia’s laws discriminating against the LGBT community. Three protestors were escorted out of the forum, while others demonstrated outside the building.

UPENN: The University of Pennsylvania plans to implement major changes to its college house system, according to the Daily Pennsylvanian. A new college house located on Hill Field, which will include a dining hall and suite-style living, is scheduled for completion in the fall of 2016. Proposed changes to the current house system include a ban on freshman residence in high-rise buildings and a revision of the room selection process.

YALE: Yale University’s Undergraduate Career Services released a report of the postgraduate plans of the class of 2013, according to Yale Daily News. The most popular pursuit among graduates was research, at 14.5 percent, with jobs in consulting a close second at 13.8 percent. This is the first year since 1968 that Yale collected data on seniors’ postgraduate plans.

Marie Plecha, The Dartmouth Staff