Dartmouth Students Start “Mugs of Dartmouth” Instagram

By Marie Plecha, The Dartmouth Staff | 11/15/13 7:00am

While sustainability may not be the first thing on your mind when grabbing coffee on a busy morning, bringing a reusable mug can help save the environment as you get your much-needed caffeine fix. A group of Dartmouth students is promoting the use of reusable mugs on campus by starting the “Mugs of Dartmouth” Instagram account this term.

The account uploads “mug shots” featuring the use of sustainable mugs in various locations on and off campus, including King Arthur Flour, Dirt Cowboy, and the library. Other uploads highlight key statistics about the environmental benefits of reusable mugs.

A group of students in the Tuck 002 marketing course started the account as part of their final project for the class. The project is an extension of the Sustainability Office’s “I’d tap that” water bottle initiative, with a specific focus on reusable coffee mugs. The Instagram account is intended to generate enthusiasm for the initiative on campus.

“We chose Instagram because people use it in lines or when they’re bored right before the point of purchasing coffee,” said Audrey Sherman ’14, who helps run the account.

The group is working with the Sustainability Office to order “Klean Kanteen” reusable mugs, which will be purchasable on campus using DBA. “People don’t use mugs because they don’t want to carry them around or clean them,” Sherman said. The “Klean Kanteen” mug is easily attached to a backpack and can be cleaned painlessly because of its wide mouth, Sherman said.

The group hopes to have the mugs available for purchase winter term. In the meantime, check out these photos from the Instagram account, and visit the account’s page at http://instagram.com/mugsofdartmouth.

Marie Plecha, The Dartmouth Staff