Lim ’14 and Mucenic ’14 Start Dartmouth Coffee Club on Campus

By Marie Plecha, The Dartmouth Staff | 10/24/13 4:00am

While many students at Dartmouth often enjoy a much-needed cup of coffee in the morning, two members of the Class of 2014 have taken their love of the drink to the next level by starting the Dartmouth Coffee Club.

Under the leadership of club president Andrew Lim ’14 and vice president Mac Mucenic ’14, the club aims to raise awareness on campus about specialty coffees and unique brewing methods. Specifically, the club will work to highlight the popular Third Wave Coffee movement, which focuses on single origin coffees sourced from one small region of a country.

“It’s similar to the idea of single malt whiskeys or wines from one vineyard,” Lim said. “Within these single origin coffees you can really taste the distinctive flavors that are characteristic of that region and that coffee.”

The club recently received recognition by the Council on Student Organizations and plans to apply for funding for club activities.

Meetings will provide a forum for discussion about coffee and people’s unique experiences with the beverage.

“Coffee can be a really personal thing,” Mucenic said. “It can be very personal and individualized, so it’ll be cool to be able to share those experiences in one place.”

Lim and Mucenic said they hope to break down the popular image of coffee aficionados as pretentious through the club’s friendly and receptive environment.

“We want to be as open as possible,” Lim said.

The club will also showcase new and innovative brewing methods, many of which have been popularized by the Third Wave Movement.

“It’s such a diverse, wide interest,” Mucenic said. “There’s no way for one person to have tried every kind of coffee or every style of brewing. There’s always something new that different people can bring to the table and educate each other.”

Lim and Mucenic plan to hold a free coffee giveaway to raise awareness about the club and specialty coffee. The first meeting will be held in the coming weeks.

Marie Plecha, The Dartmouth Staff