Beyond the College docks: different places to take a dive

By Madison Pauly, The Dartmouth Staff | 8/9/13 8:26am

The other day I was walking with a friend past the College-designated swimming docks towards the Ledyard Canoe Club, when the lifeguard on duty called out to us, having spotted the towels tucked beneath our arms and the bikini ties poking out the back of our tank tops.

"Come on over!" he said, raising his voice to be heard over the accelerating cars on W Wheelock St., beckoning us toward the roped-off chunk of river. "Going swimming?"

"Um, I think we we're going over to the other docks," I said, but he shook his head.

"You can't do that. They're dangerous. That's not allowed," he said.

Let's be real. Who really wants to go swimming in the supervised shadow of our town's busiest motorway when we're surrounded by so much beautiful nature? Call me a teenager, but even if the fact that it's administration-approved (reluctantly, too!) isn't irksome enough, it's also kind of gross. So, in case you're not yet tired of advice on how to make the most of our fast-fading summer, here's a guide to some unsanctioned swimming spots in the area you might want to check out.

1. Mink Brook — not too much further from campus than the College docks, this little outcropping downriver is great for both wading and swimming in the Connecticut. See how far out you can walk toward Gilman Island, launch yourself into the deeper water on the point's eastern side and sit in the shallows watching the sun sink into the Vermont treetops. Runners will find the access trail to be a great morning jog through a nature preserve, while I've seen others set up hammocks and lounge for an afternoon.

To get there: Walk west on Maple St. to the end, where a well-worn trail leads down a steep bank to the river's edge. A couple minutes' walk down the path will take you to the best access point.

2. Storr's Pond — Slightly less wild is the Storr's Pond Recreation Area, a popular spot for families but a great place to bring a group. Hang out on the beach and play with the sand toys left out by the recreation department, enjoy a game of beach volleyball and splash into the still water when it gets too hot. If you prefer, a heated outdoor pool is open every day from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. Other ideas: Tennis, canoeing, picnicking, fishing (it's stocked with trout), running or hiking

To get there: If you can spare the one-way 45 minute trek, walk up Lyme Rd. to the traffic circle and bear right onto Reservoir Rd. Just past the elementary school you'll see a trail on your left; hike north until you hit the park (toward the end, bear left, then stay straight). If you have a car, the access road is just a bit further down Reservoir Rd. on your left.

3. True's Ledges ("The Ledges") — You'll need a car for this one, but it's worth the ride for a dip in rocky mountain stream falling 50 feet in elevation along a short stretch, carving out perfect swimming holes a couple hundred yards apart. If you take the trail toward the left on your way down from the parking lot, you'll come to a shallow spot in view of a bridge. Leave your shoes and possessions on the bank, cross the river heading downstream and when you run into air, test your mettle leaping from a couple of mid-river outcroppings into the chilly pool beneath (deep but not ultra-deep, so watch your legs!) If you'd rather save the jump for another day, the boulder on the drop's south side has convenient hand and footholds to make your way down more gently.

To get there: Drive on 12A south through West Leb until you see True's Brook Rd., then peel off to the left. The parking area should be a little more than half a mile down on your right. (15 minutes from campus)

Other ideas:

Boston Lot Lake, Lebanon, N.H. — park in a lot just north of Wilder Dam along Route 10 and take the Maintenance trail straight up until you hit the lake. Seven miles of trail, Honeysuckle and Bald Hills and a picnicking area on the north side are a few highlights.

Silver Lake State Park, Barnard, Vt. (45 minute drive) - A state park with a silvery lake, presumably.

Rent a DOC cabin with swimming and canoeing access: Hinman Cabin on Reservoir Pond in Lyme, N.H., (20 minute drive) or Armington Cabin on Armington Lake (45 minute drive)

Madison Pauly, The Dartmouth Staff