DDS reduces dining options for the summer term

By Margarette Nelson, The Dartmouth Staff | 6/21/13 9:00am

Students in Hanover for summer term will have one less DDS location to choose from. Courtyard Cafe will be closed this term, as it typically has been for the past few summers.

"We realized with only a quarter of students on campus, we didn't need to have 100% of the dining halls open," said David Newlove, Director of Dartmouth Dining Services. Because of the popularity of Collis Cafe, and the variety and capacity of '53 Commons, closing Courtyard Cafe proved to be the most economical decision for the summer.

Within '53 Commons, students will also find that the options are reduced. Both the Pavilion and Worldview stations are closed for the summer. The employee hours are shifted from the closed stations to extended evening hours. From 8:30 pm to 10 pm every night, The Grill, The Hearth, the salad bar and the dessert bar will be open in '53 Commons to fill the late-night dining option gap created by Courtyard Cafe’s closing.

Additionally, the operating hours of Collis Cafe have been altered from last term’s schedule. Late Night Collis will close at 12:30 am, an hour earlier than in past terms, and open at 8 pm on Saturdays and Sundays, according to the DDS website.

“Generally people understand,” said Newlove, regarding the annual changes. “We have a fiduciary responsibility.”

Margarette Nelson, The Dartmouth Staff