From the Newsroom

By The Dartmouth Web Staff | 5/3/13 9:00am

Before There Was Photoshop, These Photographers Knew How to Manipulate an Image — Paul Bisceglio, Smithsonian magazine
Jerry Uelsmann revolutionized photography by manually blending negatives to produce surreal, dreamlike landscapes. Uelsmann continues to manipulate photographs this way even with the introduction of Photoshop in order to build images that are personally meaningful to him. Uelsmann’s work are currently being showcased in a traveling exhibit, “Faking It: Manipulated Photography Before Photoshop,” at the National Gallery of Art till May 5.

- Dennis Ng, Photo Editor

How I Became Hipster — Henry Alford, The New York Times
Henry Alford wrote about his attempt to "get the true Brooklyn experience". To fit into hipster Brooklyn, Alford first outfitted himself with a plaid jacquard shirt from H.W. Carter and Sons in Williamsburg, purchased a corduroy vest and a vintage shirt from a thrift shop and a blazer from a vintage shop. Alford also rented a bike to travel with "young Brooklynites' vehicle of choice". Alford also explored the food in Brooklyn and signed up for a three-hour class on Knife Skills and stopped at a used book store.

- Jenny Che, Editor in Chief

The Indicator: Cooper Union, I Love You but You're Bringing Me Down — Guy Horton, ArchDaily
For over 100 years, Cooper Union, one of the mostprestigiousart schools in the country, has been "free". However, starting from 2014, students will no longer receive full-tuition support. Horton attributes' Cooper Union's "death sentence" to a weak Board of Trustee and the board's obsession "with the machinations of Wall Street". "Its Board of Trustees, a revolving door of captains of industry and Wall Street titans, plus a few architects, supposedly the brightest and most powerful individuals—majority white men—in the world because they have made vast sums of money, started making decisions that, while they seemed to make sense in the world of finance, would baffle people who actually work for a living, people who make things."

Never Mind Subway, David LaFerriere is the Real 'Sandwich Artist' — Rain Noe, Core 77 Design Magazine & Resource
Since 2008, RISD graduate and graphic designer dad David LaFerriere draws an unique illustration on his children's sandwich bags every morning before they go to school. LaFerriere compiled his work into a video and said the biggest challenge with his work is "coming up with an idea and then drawing quickly and directly on the bag, every line counts."

- Winnie Yoe, Dartbeat Editor

The Dartmouth Web Staff