Off Campus Kitchen: Risotto-style Quinoa

By Laura Bryn Sisson, The Dartmouth Staff | 4/16/13 6:00am

I couldn't make it to the Co-op this week as I am sick as a dog. Also, I haven't had much time to exercise. Therefore, when I found myself debating between posting about a “healthy dinner” versus, say, salted-caramel brownies, the former seemed like a wiser choice. I whipped this together using the quinoa I always keep in my pantry, some leftover greens (the asparagus from last week, bok choy) and some supplemental ingredients from Collis (spinach, plus anything else you're inspired to add). I also tried making quinoa risotto-style. It's not incredibly different from regular quinoa — perhaps a bit softer, and creamier if you add the half-and-half. I would have garnished the dish with pine nuts and mint leaves if I had them. I thought it might be cute, but apparently 'cute' isn't the main criterion for what Collis keeps at the salad bar.

Despite my congestion-numbed tastebuds, when I tasted my initial version of this dish, it was not very good. The problem was kale, which I first used instead of spinach (because Collis was out of spinach the first time I went). I think part of kale's current 'moment' may be due to some latent belief from childhood that if something tastes bad, it must be good for you. That's at least how I felt when I tasted the bitter greens I spooned up. For the final recipe, I've used spinach and bok choy instead, which I think tastes much better. A useful antidote for unintended bitterness, however, is the addition of sweetness. As such, if you find this (or any dish) tastes bitterer than you'd like, try add apple cider or honey to see how it changes the flavour.

Recipe:

2/3 cup quinoa
2 cups spinach
1/2 cup edamame
1 clove garlic
5 stalks asparagus
3 tablespoons sesame oil (you can use butter or olive oil, but I think sesame adds an interesting flavour)
1/4 cup half-and-half (leave out if you want to keep this non-dairy)

1/2 stalk bok choy
3 1/2 cups broth (chicken or mushroom)
Optional: pinch red pepper flakes, 1 teaspoon honey

1. Mince garlic and chop spinach into smaller pieces. Cut one inch from the bottom end of each asparagus stalk; discard and cut remainder of stalk into inch-long pieces.
2. Pour sesame oil into saucepan; heat on medium for one minute, then add garlic. Sauté for another minute or so, stirring, then add quinoa and allow to brown for another minute.
3. Add broth in 2/3 cup increments, allow to bubble off and stir frequently, only add the next increment when the prior one is used up.
4. After 40 minutes or so—whenever you've finished adding broth, add 1/4 cup half and half. Add vegetables and allow to cook for another five to six minutes, stirring frequently, until green and tender. Taste. Season with salt and pepper, add red pepper flakes if you like things spicy. If it seems bitter, add one tablespoon honey (seems weird but it works!)
Serves one generously or makesthreeside portions.

Laura Bryn Sisson, The Dartmouth Staff