JYK takes his talents to The Huffington Post

By Margarette Nelson, The Dartmouth Staff | 3/25/13 7:30am

Former College President Jim Yong Kim, currently president of the World Bank, can now add blogging for The Huffington Post to his resume. So far, his posts have focused on improving economic and human rights issues in the Third World that speeches delivered during his time at Dartmouth often mentioned. The first article, published on February 5, “What Can We Learn from Expensive Chicken Wings on Super Bowl Sunday?” discusses the future of food insecurity in the face of global warming and a growing global population. By 2050, Kim writes, food production will need to increase by 70 percent in order to feed the global population of nine billion. While agricultural production remains unsustainable, improvement of practices and more research could offer hope for the seemingly unstable future, Kim writes.

Since the launch of his blog, Kim posted two more articles. The second, “Three Global Priorities for Women and Girls,”published on February 27, outlines the main steps to gender equality in developing nations. Kim describes these three priorities as gender equality under law, prosecution of those who commit sexual violence against women and increasing the political representation of women.

Kim’s most recent post, “Five Steps to Help Fragile Countries,”was published on March 14. The article lays out a general path to growth and development for a third world nation facing instability. Kim suggests that understanding the “drivers of fragility and conflict” and providing quick assistance and job creation is the key to stimulating economic success.

A detailed biography on Kim has is also available on The Post’s website, suggesting that there may be more blog posts to come. French and Spanish translations of Kim’s articles are also available, reflecting his global audience and the global nature of the problems that he addresses. The English versions, however, have received by far the most comments, illustrating where the vast majority of his readership is. Is a JYK personal Twitter account next?

Margarette Nelson, The Dartmouth Staff