The Casual Dresser

By Jonathan Li | 2/6/13 5:30am

People often argue that American fashion is moving into a European direction. Today’s fitted shirts, well-cut pants and simple patterns — if not plain colors — stand in stark contrast against the voluminous, boxy and neon figures of the nineties. But what we often forget is that Europe was once all about that trend too. Perhaps it would be more appropriate to say that Europe is simply ahead of the curve — just ahead enough that we attribute these ideas to them.

In regards to today’s retailers, I believe there are two extremes. The first are old, large, historically American brands, such as Ralph Lauren or L.L.Bean, which have little need to change their business models. Their main products are classics, and they may feature a smaller selection of new, fitted clothing. The second extreme is smaller retailers and boutiques that specialize and capitalize on current fashion trends. They far outnumber the large retailers and strictly feature fitted clothing. In the pursuit of these pieces, it’s not the fashion that’s difficult; it’s the fit.

Daniel Holmdahl ’14

Parka: Peak Performance
Rucksack: Fjällräven
Shirt: American Apparel
Cardigan: Matinique
Shoes: Tretorn

Parkas

But nothing’s quite like taking a long walk across campus and being warm. A parka, an overcoat, a down jacket — in this weather I honestly can’t blame anyone for bundling up, whatever the cost.

Again, the fashion’s not difficult to find. It’s the fit. Especially in terms of jackets. Take your time to invest in something you’ll wear for winters beyond this one. Almost any major retailer is your friend.

American Apparel

Cardigans

Rucksacks

Jonathan Li