The best of Oscars fashion: 2013

By Carinna Arvizo | 2/26/13 5:00am

The Oscars is perhaps the second happiest time of year for fashion bloggers. We finally get to see those couture gowns off the runway and creatively reassembled by stylists. This year most actresses decided to wear neutral, dark colored or metallic dresses. Personally, I preferred the outfits that played more with color and weren’t as traditional.

Zoe Saldana wore an Alexis Mabille Couture dress, Roger Vivier shoes, a Salvatore Ferragamo clutch and Neil Lane jewelry. This dress is feminine and flirty, but has some elements that clash, like the bow and the belt, and the ombre bottom and the floral bodice. These pairings work together because they’re not too dramatic and make us want to take a second look.

Kelly Osbourne decided to wear a Tony Ward Couture dress, Le Vian and Demarco rings, Norman Silverman earrings and a Judith Leiber bag. Osbourne has enough color in her hair, so it was wise for her to wear a black dress. The sequins and the dress’ asymmetry make it anything but traditional.

Jennifer Aniston opted for a classic red Valentino dress, Fred Leighton jewelry and a Salvatore Ferragamo clutch. She was one of the few women that decided to wear some color this year. The dress is rather simple, but simple is sometimes best.

Amy Adams wore a light grey Oscar de La Renta gown, pairing it with jewelry from Mouawad. The bustier top and voluminous top give it a princess like feel, without making it look childish, or even worse, awkward.

My favorite look this year: Kerry Washington wore a Miu Miu dress, Prada clutch, Christian Louboutin shoes, Fred Leighton ring and Chopard earrings. This dress is amazing! The color and bow are playful, but the sequined bodice makes this dress perfect for the Oscars.

Quvenzhane Wallis certainly made her Oscar debut a memorable one. She decided to wear a dress from the Armani Junior collection and accompany it with an adorable puppy purse, in honor of her nominated performance as Hush Puppy in “Beasts of the Southern Wild.” A puppy purse is probably a first for the Academy Awards, but she made it work.

Carinna Arvizo