From the Newsroom

By The Dartmouth Web Staff | 2/22/13 3:00am

Can the Republicans Be Saved From Obsolescence? — Robert Draper, The New York Times
About an hour into the session, Anderson walked up to a whiteboard and took out a magic marker. “I’m going to write down a word, and you guys free-associate with whatever comes to mind,” she said. The first word she wrote was “Democrat.”
“Young people,” one woman called out.
“Liberal,” another said. Followed by: “Diverse.” “Bill Clinton.”“Change.”“Open-minded.”“Spending.”“Handouts.”“Green.”“More science-based.”

The Man Who Killed Osama bin Laden...Is Screwed — Phil Bronstein, Esquire
As I watched the Shooter navigate obstacles very different from the ones he faced so expertly in four war zones around the globe, I wondered: Is this how America treats its heroes? The ones President Obama called "the best of the best"? The ones Vice-President Biden called "the finest warriors in the history of the world"?

The Extraordinary Science of Addictive Junk Food — Michael Moss, The New York Times
In the months leading up to the C.E.O. meeting, he was engaged in conversation with a group of food-science experts who were painting an increasingly grim picture of the public’s ability to cope with the industry’s formulations — from the body’s fragile controls on overeating to the hidden power of some processed foods to make people feel hungrier still. It was time, he and a handful of others felt, to warn the C.E.O.’s that their companies may have gone too far in creating and marketing products that posed the greatest health concerns.

-Leslie Ye, Dartbeat Editor

The Boy Wonder of BuzzFeed — Douglas Quenqua, The New York Times
Mr. Smith, 36, has long had a reputation for doing things his own way. Before BuzzFeed, he was known for pulling city politics into the digital era with The Politicker, a blog he started for The Observer in 2004. While other print reporters were waiting for deadlines to share the news, Mr. Smith had the then-novel idea of publishing what he knew on the Web and letting readers leave comments, producing a lively and often indecorous forum that transfixed Gotham’s power brokers.

'Times' editor Jill Abramson opens up about layoffs, the time she almost quit, and loneliness at the top — Joe Pompeo, Capital
I don't get to complain anymore. It's just true. Some of the most delicious time that you spend as a journalist is like, complaining. At no times have I had fewer actual friends to gossip with, and kind of complain with, or at least commiserate with. That is a hard part of being the boss. Newsrooms are just full of cantankerous complaining people. It's so enjoyable to be part of that.

-Felicia Schwartz, Executive Editor

Gollum sings 'I Dreamed A Dream'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLpyBwBhoy0&feature=youtu.be

-Sam Rauschenfels, Sports Editor

INFOGRAPHIC: Among the Oscar Contenders, a Host of Connections — The New York Times

-Jenny Che, Editor-in-Chief

Chris Buck: 'Presence' Re-Examines the Way We Look at Celebrities — David Rosenberg, Slate
"Chris Buck is a celebrity photographer known for posing his models in unconventional ways (there's one image of Will Smith lunging at his camera). He has been in the industry for so long that he can summon celebrities at moment's notice for any of his zany projects. This time, he decided to have them hide from his camera for 30 seconds while he snapped a photo. The results are these odd, hyper-real still lifes, noticeably absent of subjects, that invite us to recontextualize our relationship with celebrities as well as our relationship with space."

The Harrowing Story Behind the World Press Photo of the Year — Max Fisher, The Washington Post
"Last week, World Press Photo announced the winners of its annual award, the most prestigious in photojournalism. This is the story behind the winning photo of the year, an image of Palestinian men carrying the bodies of two children killed during fighting between Hamas and Israeli forces. I recommend readers also check out the other photos that received accolades this year. These are the best in world photojournalism."

-Gavin Huang, Photo Editor

An 'Autopsy' of Detroit Finds Resilience in a Struggling City — Terry Gross: Fresh Air, NPR
Look, people go to Rome to stare at the ruin porn. [Detroit] is a very fascinating place to look at. It's difficult to live in it, and basically you see the pain's not over. It hurts because that factory is where my dad was working. That's why it's hard. ... When they say 'ruin porn' they're talking about empty, abandoned structures. My work has to do with living, breathing people and the difficult task of getting through this moment — which we will — and building a future. So no, I don't look at it as ruin porn at all. This is a document of us getting ourselves back together.

Go ahead, take a bath. It's the Detroit Police.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1KmTAY67zA

-Claire Groden, Evening Managing Editor

The Dartmouth Web Staff