Watching the Ivies: 10/5

By Marie Plecha | 10/5/12 8:30am

BROWN: Brown University has revamped the campus’s two major dining halls, introducing more sustainable proteins, seasonal fruits and vegetables, and a crepe bar. Additions also include culinary demonstrations and increased study areas in the alcoves.

HARVARD: Harvard University's President Drew G. Faust addressed Harvard’s recent cheating scandal in an interview with The Crimson on Tuesday. Faust hopes to mitigate the impact of societal pressure to succeed and promote “intellectual excitement” on campus. The students accused of collaborating on a take-home exam last spring await disciplinary action from the College’s Administrative Board.

PRINCETON: On the subject of academic integrity, the Council of the Princeton University Community debated challenges to the University’s Honor Code at a meeting last week. The Council explored strategies of avoiding Honor Code violations via the Internet or inappropriate student collaboration. The discussion encouraged “communication between professors and students that clearly and effectively defined permissible collaboration,” according to The Daily Princetonian.

YALE: Fraternity and sorority leaders at Yale University met with administrators last week to discuss the University’s changing Greek- and alcohol-related policies. Students expressed concern over the disciplinary focus of the new policies, which include the banning of fall rush for freshmen and increased tailgating regulations.

COLUMBIA: Columbia University’s Center for Student Advising has implemented a peer-advising program for first-year students. The program enables new students to connect with upperclassmen and receive support as they transition into college-level academics, as The Columbia Spectator reported.

CORNELL: The Center for Responsive Politics recently ranked Cornell University 13th for the number of alumni who become federally registered lobbyists. Several Cornell professors have expressed apprehension about this top placement because of lobbyists’ potentially negative government impact, according to The Cornell Daily Sun.

PENN: The University of Pennsylvania has reinstituted funding for the University’s traditional “toast toss,” in which students throw toast onto the field after the third quarter at home football games. Though Penn Athletics decided over the summer to stop providing toast as a response to student apathy, fans’ unwillingness to bring their own bread prompted the athletic department to reinstate the toast provision.

Marie Plecha