Local vendors sell bounty on the Green

By Emma Moley | 9/12/12 8:00am

The aim of the market is “to promote local agriculture, the local economy, sustainability, and environmental awareness,” according to the Hanover Area Chamber of Commerce, which hosts the market.In order to participate, vendors must sell products that are locally grown or made.

Here are details on a few of the vendors you may see on the Green this fall:

Taylor Brothers Sugarhouse & Creamery: Currently run by the fourth generation of Taylors, this farm in Meriden, N.H. specializes in artisan cheeses, maple syrup and maple-roasted nuts. The business is related to Garfields Smokehouse, also a member of the Dartmouth farmers market. The Smokehouse, which sells smoked cheeses and meats, is owned by Bill Taylor of the Taylor Brothers and his wife, Liz.

Thompson Goat Farm: This family-operated farm in Vermont produces goat milk soaps directly from their goats and homemade natural raspberry products from their 750-bush crop of raspberries.

Gizmo's Pickled Plus: This standsells an assortment of unusual products for those daring food lovers, including hot pepper jelly, apple rhubarb jam and pickled green tomatoes.

Vermont Crepe and Waffle: This traveling-cart-based business cooks mouthwatering crepes, with Lisa Cadow, a trainee at a crepe school in France, as the head crepe maker. You have two options: a buckwheat galette crepe, filled with savory meats and cheeses, or a fremont dessert crepe, made from white flour and topped with anything from Nutella to graham crackers.

Yummy Yammyoffers its famous roasted sweet potato dip, a product that somehow manages to be simultaneously delicious and healthy.

Kettle corn, tamales, fudge, smoothies, cupcakes, hand-crafted bowls and local art are just a few of the other options available for those wandering through the booths on a Wednesday afternoon.

And if you don’t want to wait until next Wednesday to stuff your fridge with local products, you can also check out the Norwich Farmers Market on Saturday from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. It features many similar vendors and is located on Route 5 South, less than 2 miles from campus.

Emma Moley