Go to Town On: Poverty Lane Orchards

By Jamie Li | 9/24/12 6:30am

Poverty Lane Orchards, in Lebanon, features rows on rows of apple trees that are just ripe (literally) with apples ready for the picking. There are three types of apple trees denoted by colored ribbon, but the pricing remains constant. You are given a bag (or you can bring your own) to pick as many apples of any kind as you’d like as long, as you pay $1.05 per pound. Tree varieties are McIntosh, Cortland, and Macoun – with McIntosh being best for baking because of its tendency to soften with heat. Or, if you are feeling lazy, Poverty Lane assembles bundles of apples by variety into paper tote bags and even a Costo-style bulk version, which they call the “utility pack” full of McIntosh apples for the pie maker in you.

Now reward yourself for the hard work you put into collecting apples and ask to sample their selection of ciders from neighboring Farnum Hill Ciders. They currently have four cider selections in the rotation ranging from dry to semi-dry, but only if you’re over 21! For fans of hard cider, Poverty Lane has a “Thirsty Thursday” special for half-gallon growlers. Regular price is $14 new and $12 refills but on Thirsty Thursdays prices are $12 and $10 respectively.

And do not forget to purchase a pumpkin on your way out! Pumpkins are available in all shapes and sizes at fifty cents per pound. For baking pumpkin pie, ask for sugar pumpkins. Otherwise, buy one anyway for carving and an extra for your neighbor. Happy picking!

Jamie Li