La Belle Vie: A purse by any other name

By Isobel Markham | 5/14/12 7:53pm

The Mulberry Del Rey:
This bag aims to capture Lana Del Rey's retro glamour. Described by creative director Emma Hill as "functional with an uptown twist," the bag has the appearance of structure, but it is apparently still super-soft. Featuring the Mulberry postman's lock on the front but no other fancy bits or pieces, this bag is pared-down and simple — key ingredients for an instant classic.

The Hermès Birkin:
Probably the most recognizable bag in the world, the Hermès Birkin, named after actress and singer Jane Birkin, once had a legendary 6-year waiting list. With prices ranging from $9,000 all the way up to more than $100,000, the Birkin bag is the ultimate symbol of wealth and success. Own one of these and you'll be in good company — Victoria Beckham, Nicole Richie and Lady Gaga all have more than one in several colors and fabrics.

The Luella Gisele:
It was inevitable that at some point somebody would name a bag after the ultimate supermodel, Gisele Bündchen. That moment came in 2002, when then-flailing British brand Luella brought out the Gisele - and sent her down the runway with it to boot. This one was something of a slow-burner, but celebrities were eventually seen toting it, and sales of this bag allegedly saved the entire brand from going under.

The Mulberry Alexa:
Relaxed, stylish and practical with just a hint of androgyny, the Mulberry Alexa was an instant hit with the under-25 crowd. The key to its success is its slouchy, understated vibe and the nonchalant cross-body strap. This bag is neither grown-up chic nor girlie and playful — it's laid-back, effortless and unbelievably cool. I want one.

The Smythson Nancy:
It's not what you know, it's who you know. Little Nancy Cameron may only be 8 years old, but as the daughter of the United Kingdom Prime Minister David Cameron and his wife, Samantha Cameron, she wields more power than most of us could ever dream of. While Samantha Cameron was creative director at Smythson, she created the Nancy bag, which then extended to a "family" of bags. The Nancy Tote is the latest addition to the family. Featuring sumptuous folds of buttery-soft calfskin leather, this handbag screams out for you to caress it. In my opinion, the ultimate handbag — top of the wishlist.

P.S. Looks like the campus is split 50-50 on which Hepburn they most identify with — it was a dead heat! I think Audrey would choose the Birkin bag, and I can definitely see Katherine rocking the Alexa.

Isobel Markham