La Belle Vie: Hot pants

By Isobel Markham | 4/23/12 10:30am

Short skirts aren't for everyone. Looking around the Dartmouth campus recently, I have concluded that they do indeed seem to work for most people, but still — not for everyone. I'm on the fence about this one, really. Being on the tall side, it's difficult for me to find skirts and dresses that are not short to the point of indecency. Also, I have a fear of accidently having my skirt tucked into my knickers.

There are several reasons why you too may not feel inclined to get your legs out, even though it's 80 degrees outside. Maybe they're hairy. Maybe you're super pasty and you can't be bothered to fake tan or continuously apply sunscreen as you lay out on the Green. Maybe you don't like your thighs.

If you're after jungle florals à la Olivia, this pair from Zara are just the ticket. They would look particularly stunning with a silky top in hot orange like this one are also sure to make a statement. You could also keep your top half in nude shades or white to avoid detracting attention from your bottoms.

Patterned trousers are also perfect for the evening. I've got my eye on this pair from Stella McCartney. Team with a sharp-shouldered blazer and some fierce heels.

If geometric prints are more your bag, then you're in good company — Beyonce was spotted out and about on the streets of New York in this Easton Pearson pair last month. For laid-back 70s evening glam you couldn't do better than this gorgeous pair of palazzo pants by Elizabeth and James. Add some wedged sandals and hoop earrings to complete the look. If sporty's more your style, then these silky peg-leg track pants from Reiss are a great option. Dress them up with some heels or down with a racerback tank.

Like the light, summery skirts that I've been spotting on campus, these trousers will billow gracefully in the wind — only they'll leave much more to the imagination.

Isobel Markham