The Ivy Lede

By Katie Paxton, The Dartmouth Staff | 12/2/09 1:48pm

Zach Ingbretsen / The Dartmouth Staff

Head­lines from across the Ivy League.
Brown
Brown Uni­ver­sity will shut down its cable tele­vi­sion sys­tem in June 2010 and will likely im­ple­ment an in­ter­net-based tele­vi­sion net­work, which is used at many peer in­sti­tu­tions. More»
Co­lum­bia
New York State of­fi­cials will cre­ate a data­base of in­for­ma­tion on stu­dents in all lev­els of ed­u­ca­tion as part of the na­tional “Race to the Top” com­pe­ti­tion, which of­fers $4.3 bil­lion to the state that pro­poses the most promis­ing ed­u­ca­tion re­form ini­tia­tives. More»

Cor­nell
Cor­nell Uni­ver­sity stu­dents who com­mit two drug or al­co­hol vi­o­la­tions will now have a let­ter sent home to their par­ents in an ef­fort to keep par­ents more in­formed. More»
Har­vard
In Har­vard Law School's most re­cent round of bud­get cuts, the in­sti­tu­tion sus­pended the Pub­lic Ser­vice Ini­tia­tive, which waived stu­dents' tu­ition for their third year if they promised to work in the pub­lic ser­vice sec­tor for five years after grad­u­a­tion. More»
Penn
Uni­ver­sity of Penn­syl­va­nia se­nior Ken­neth Nwan­nunu passed away from bac­te­r­ial pneu­mo­nia while study­ing abroad in China, three weeks after his ar­rival, of­fi­cials con­firmed. More»
Prince­ton
Sev­eral mem­bers of Prince­ton Uni­ver­sity’s Un­der­grad­u­ate Stu­dent Gov­ern­ment have re­fused to sign a pledge that they will not seek let­ters of rec­om­men­da­tions from ad­min­is­tra­tors. Stu­dents said that the pledge also lim­its them from ask­ing for rec­om­men­da­tions from fac­ulty mem­bers. More»
Yale
Yale Uni­ver­sity will only keep 10 to 15 of the 100 con­sul­tants orig­i­nally em­ployed in No­vem­ber 2008 to help the school meet its $150 bud­get gap. The con­sul­tants will work on cre­at­ing an em­ployee ser­vice cen­ter and im­prov­ing the uni­ver­sity's com­puter sys­tem. More»

Katie Paxton, The Dartmouth Staff