Ivy Hockey Roundup

By Dan Lentz | 11/30/09 1:38pm

Jared Bookman / The Dartmouth Staff

The Big Green beat Har­vard on Sun­day, 6-2, win­ning at Har­vard for the first time in 10 years. The con­test was not sched­uled as a con­fer­ence game — great tim­ing.
Cor­nell tied Boston Uni­ver­sity 3-3 in Boston on Sat­ur­day in over­time. Ap­par­ently col­lege hockey has not taken the NHL’s hint: no one likes ties.
Also on Sat­ur­day, Brown beat Con­necti­cut by a touch­down on ice, 8-1, notch­ing the Bears first vic­tory this sea­son.
Yale de­feated Holy Cross 7-3. The Bull­dogs, no­tably, have al­ready man­aged to score eight goals twice this sea­son against non-con­fer­ence op­po­nents. Maybe Yale should be sched­ul­ing tougher teams than the On­tario In­sti­tute of Tech­nol­ogy?
The day after Thanks­giv­ing, Dart­mouth con­tin­ued its re­cent good play, beat­ing Prov­i­dence 4-2. Since Turkey Day, Dart­mouth has played two games and has two wins. Weekly Thanks­giv­ing din­ners, any­one?
In the bat­tle of the cats last Wednes­day the Quin­nip­iac Bob­cats beat the Prince­ton Tigers 5-1 at Prince­ton. I’d sure like to see that go down with real an­i­mals.
Over­all, Yale heads up the Ivy League with a league record of 4-1 while Dart­mouth is in last at 0-3.
It is, how­ever, colder in Hanover, and we are closer to Canada, so the laws of hockey say we are sup­posed to be bet­ter. And, de­spite the poor over­all record, the Big Green is 3-0 in its last three games – maybe be­cause it’s start­ing to feel more like win­ter up here.
I’ll be hop­ing for more win­ter weather as the Big Green look to make it four straight on Dec. 13 at home against Sa­cred Heart.

Dan Lentz