Letter to the Editor: Bravo, President Beilock

Reinstating the standardized testing requirement for admissions is the right move by President Sian Leah Beilock’s administration.

Re: College to reinstate standardized test requirement for Class of 2029

In my time as an Opinion columnist for The Dartmouth, I have not always seen eye-to-eye with the administration. My past critiques of the administration have resulted from a love for Dartmouth and a common desire to make it the best College on the Hill that it can be. However, today I write to congratulate President Sian Leah Beilock’s administration for wisely reinstating standardized testing scores as an admissions requirement beginning with the Class of 2029.

This move has been a long time coming. In July 2022, I wrote about the need to revert back from a test-optional admissions policy, as the pandemic’s restrictions on testing accessibility had waned by that point. The evidence is undeniable: test scores remain an effective predictor of a student’s future success at college. I am heartened to see further well-founded research conducted by Dartmouth professors that supports this. 

Even when faced with evidence that contradicts your views, it is not always easy to change one’s mind publicly. I applaud President Beilock and Vice President and Dean of Admissions Lee Coffin for ensuring that future Dartmouth classes will be academically prepared for their time here.

Thomas de Wolff ’24 is currently an Opinion Editor at The Dartmouth. Letters to the Editor represent the views of their author(s), which are not necessarily those of The Dartmouth.

Thomas de Wolff

Thomas de Wolff '24 is from St. Louis, Missouri, and is majoring in History and French. He currently serves as opinion editor and as a member of the Editorial Board, and has written for the opinion section in the past. Outside of The Dartmouth, Thomas enjoys playing guitar, reading, and learning to juggle.