Vasudha Thakur ’23 dies

Thakur will be remembered as a force of optimism “who made time for everyone” and “stood up for what she believed in.”

fairchild.jpg

Vasudha Thakur ’23, a student from New Delhi, India, died Saturday morning, according to an email sent by Dean of the College Scott Brown to the Dartmouth community. 

At Dartmouth, Thakur double majored in economics and geography, though she had a particular fondness for geography, Brown wrote. She was also a member of the International Students Association. Prior to college, Thakur attended Sanskriti School, a high school in her hometown. 

Brown wrote that Thakur’s friends described her as an “unusually positive and open person who stood up for what she believed in,” and “a good, reliable friend who made time for everyone.”  

Representatives from Dartmouth’s Counseling Center, along with other resources, were made available to students Saturday evening and will be offered Sunday afternoon in One Wheelock, Brown wrote. Counseling Center and Tucker Center staff will also be available to provide support on Monday afternoon in Collis 221, 222 and 223. 

In his email, Brown added that Dartmouth is planning an evening gathering to mourn several deaths in the community, with more details to follow in a subsequent schoolwide message. 

For students, counseling services are available at (603) 646-9442 at all hours and through the Department of Safety and Security at (603) 646-4000 for immediate assistance. Students can call UHelp — a service of UWill, the College’s free teletherapy provider — at (833) 646-1526. Students can also reach out to the College chaplain to set up a confidential pastoral counseling session. The Student Wellness Center and Undergraduate Deans Office remain available resources for undergraduate students.

This article will be updated as more details become available, and a full obituary will be published in the near future. If you would like to share a memory, please contact editor@thedartmouth.com.