The 2022 election live updates: Hanover votes for Hassan, Sherman and Kuster as results come in

IMG_3511.jpg

Although the 2022 election has been well underway for many voters, with millions having already cast their ballots, today marks the official opening of polls in Hanover and around the country.

Upper Valley voters will be deciding on a number of key races today. In the gubernatorial races, Republican Govs. Chris Sununu and Phil Scott face challenges from Democratic nominees Tom Sherman and Brenda Siegel, respectively. Senator Maggie Hassan, D-N.H., faces off against retired gen. Don Bolduc, while Rep. Peter Welch and Gerald Malloy compete to succeed retiring Sen. Patrick Leahy, D-V.T. In New Hampshire’s second congressional district, Rep. Ann McLane Kuster ’78, D-N.H. is running against Republican nominee Bob Burns; meanwhile in Vermont, Democratic nominee Becca Balint looks to become Vermont’s first female House representative by defeating Republican nominee Liam Madden.

Watch here for live updates from the polls in Hanover and the greater Upper Valley throughout the day, as well as race projections once the polls close.

Want to read more from The Dartmouth over your morning coffee? Check out our reporting on the results of our 2022 election survey, recent events held on campus by Kuster and Burns, as well as a Q&A with Sherman. Also, take a look at our guide to today’s races if you’d like a breakdown of who’s on Hanover’s ballot. 

1:45 a.m.: Rep. Ann McLane Kuster '78 wins reelection for New Hampshire's 2nd District

U.S. Representative Ann McLane Kuster, D-N.H., has won reelection in New Hampshire's 2nd Congressional district, defeating business owner Bob Burns, according to the Associated Press

12:30 a.m.: New Hampshire Sen. Maggie Hassan wins reelection

Andrew Sasser / The Dartmouth Senior Staff

U.S. Senator Maggie Hassan, D-N.H., has won reelection, defeating ret. army general Don Bolduc, according to the Associated Press. 

10:29 p.m.: Democrat Becca Balint becomes Vermont's first female Representative

In Vermont, Democratic nominee Becca Balint has won election to become the state's U.S. Representative, according to the Associated Press. Balint will become the state's first female Congressional member. 

9:55 p.m.: Vermont Republican Gov. Phil Scott wins reelection

Vermont Gov. Phil Scott, a Republican, has won reelection, defeating Democratic nominee Brenda Siegel, according to the Associated Press. 

9:10 p.m.: Hanover votes for Hassan, Sherman and Kuster as results come in:

According to preliminary voting results from Hanover, Sen. Maggie Hassan, D-N.H., has received 87.5% of the vote, or 4789 votes, to retired Gen. Don Bolduc’s 12.2%, or 673 votes.

Hanover's votes in the U.S. House of Representatives second congressional district race go to Democratic Rep. Ann McLane Kuster ’78 with 87.3% of the vote — 4787 votes — to Republican business owner Bob Burns’ 12.6% of the vote, or 691 votes.

Hanover voted for Tom Sherman for governor with 77.5% of the vote, or 4241 votes. Incumbent Republican Gov. Chris Sununu received 22.0% of the vote, or 1205 votes.

The preliminary vote total is 5531 votes. 

8:45 p.m.: New Hampshire Republican Gov. Chris Sununu wins reelection

Gov. Chris Sununu, a Republican, has won reelection, defeating Democratic nominee Tom Sherman, according to the Associated Press. 

7:30 p.m.: Democratic Rep. Peter Welch wins Vermont Senate Race

Rep. Peter Welch, D-Vt., will win election to Vermont's U.S. Senate race, according to the Associated Press. 

7:00 p.m.: As polls close, voters reflect on the candidates they voted for

Taylor Haber / The Dartmouth Staff

Turning out in potentially record numbers, Hanover voters cast their ballots for a host of political candidates and constitutional questions. Voters with and without specific party affiliations came out to vote at Hanover High School.

For decades, undeclared or independent voters have comprised the largest voting bloc in New Hampshire — outpacing both Democrats and Republicans. However, Grafton County, where Hanover is located, has become increasingly Democratic in recent years.

Ella Goetze ’23, a registered Democrat, previously voted in New Hampshire during the 2018 midterm and 2020 presidential elections. Goetze said that they considered climate change to be a “big motivator” and voted down their party line on their ballot.

“I don’t have a lot of trust in how Republicans are currently doing their politics and don’t seem to be taking elections seriously, so I think it’s important to show up for these things,” they said.

Some voters said that they found the constitutional questions on the ballot to be confusing. Jeff Wilkinson, 66, an undeclared voter, said he found the first question, which seeks to eliminate the register of probate from the state constitution, to be “very unclear.”

“So they’re trying to say, basically, as far as I could tell, keep things the way they are but…adjust it using the legislature,” he said. “They could have just had a one-line clarifier at the top of that — would have been helpful.”

Though undeclared, Wilkinson said that he aligned more with Republican candidates this cycle, citing the economy as his top priority. Wilkinson highlighted Governor Chris Sununu as a politician “doing an acceptable job.”

5:50 p.m.: Turnout Near Record Levels at Hanover Polling Location

Taylor Haber / The Dartmouth Staff

Hanover High School election greeter Phil Tierney might as well be a midterms renaissance man. He welcomes incoming voters, congratulates those leaving, answers registration-related questions, offers directions and reminds passersby not to forget the following: Their ballots are double-sided.

This year, Tierney, who has been a greeter since 2016, has one more piece of information to offer. Hanover High School’s voter turnout has been the highest he has ever seen for a midterm election.

“[We’ve seen more] same-day registrations today than we have in the past,” Tierney said.

In 2018, national midterm election turnout peaked at their highest levels in more than half a century. Compared to four years ago, Tierney said turnout today was “way higher.”

Though in previous years, there have been specific times where Hanover High School turnout peaks, Tierney said that today had been more constant.

“Before work, that would be between 7:00 a.m. and 8:45 [a.m.] in the morning. Then, around lunchtime. Then, after work, before dinner. So between 4:00 [p.m.] and 6:00 [p.m.],” he said. “But I have to tell you, there’s been a steady stream today.”

3:10 p.m.: State house, senate Candidates gather at Hanover polling station 

Taylor Haber / The Dartmouth Staff

Retail politics are a New Hampshire staple, and Hanover appears to be no different. Donning winter jackets and gloves, candidates in local state House and state Senate races campaigned outside of Hanover High School with placards promoting their own names.

State representatives Mary Hakken-Phillips, Russell Muirhead, Sharon Nordgren and James Murphy, the four Democratic incumbents representing Grafton 12 — the district for Hanover — were all  observed outside talking to passing voters. All four incumbents are likely to cruise to victory since — in a race where four candidates are able to win — they are the only names on to appear on the ballot this year; no Republican or third party challenger qualified for the general election.

Muirhead, a government professor at the College, said that while his win is practically assured, “that is not where the action is today,” adding that the outcome in the Senate race between Maggie Hassan and Don Bolduc is “50-50.”

“I’m neither optimistic or pessimistic — I’m just curious,” Muirhead said. “And in general, I think it’s very, very difficult for a party that’s perceived to be the party of power to win under conditions of 10% inflation. So, the Democrats are at a big disadvantage in this election.”

Republican state Senate nominee Robert McIntyre, a retired physician who is challenging Democratic incumbent Sue Prentiss in the fifth district, stood right beside the group with his own sign. Though Republicans have not won a state Senate election in the fifth district, —which represents Hanover — this century, McIntyre explained he was running for more fundamentally democratic reasons.

“People deserve to have someone else to vote for,” McIntyre said. “People should not be running unopposed.”

McIntyre — whose campaign slogan is, “We have more in common than we don’t” —  said,standing side by side with Democratic candidates, that he tries not to view people in purely ideological terms.

“These are my neighbors,” McIntyre said. “I’m friends with everyone here. You know, I’m running…to represent everyone here, so these are literally my friends.”

Andrew Sasser

Andrew is a '23 from Boynton Beach, Florida, and is currently a news executive editor for The Dartmouth. He is majoring in chemistry and economics.