Updated Feb. 24, 2020 at 7:38 p.m.
Local fire departments on Sunday afternoon responded to a fire at Phi Delta Alpha fraternity. The fire was confined to the third-floor bathroom of the fraternity and quickly extinguished, according to Hanover Fire Department captain Michael Gilbert.
The fire tripped a heat sensor on a third-floor sprinkler of the fraternity, leading water to spread and seep to the lower floors of the building. He said that representatives from the College will determine the implications of the damage — namely, if residents will be able to continue to reside in the building.
Associate director of residential operations Bernard Haskell said residents of the building would be rehoused in residence halls until the Hanover Fire Department confirms that the building is safe and the fraternity decides to allow students to return. Phi Delt is taking measures to repair damage done by the fire in order to make the house habitable again, according to Haskell.
"They're reaching out to contractors now," Haskell said.
As of press time, Phi Delt president Sean Keough ’20 said that he did not know about the extent and implications of the fire.
The Hanover, Hartford and Lebanon fire departments all responded to the incident.
This story will be updated as more information becomes available.