The Weekend Roundup: Week 9

Men's Hockey

Dartmouth men’s ice hockey went one for two this weekend, falling to No. 19 Princeton University 7-1 Friday night, but following it up with a 5-1 defeat of No. 15 Quinnipiac University on Saturday.

The Big Green started off relatively close to the Tigers, with the visiting team only scoring once in the first period, but Princeton took advantage of an extended power play in the second period to put away two goals in a handful of minutes. Matt Baker ’21 responded to the 3-0 score with his first goal on the season almost 10 minutes into the period, but this did little to slow down the Tigers, who found two more goals in the remaining period and added an additional two in the third for good measure.

Dartmouth more than rebounded the following night, handing the six-win Bobcats their first loss of the season. The game started off slow, with zero points in the first, but the Big Green soon took charge, with Drew O’Connor ’22 finding the net. Following this, Quin Foreman ’21 and Collin Rutherford ’21 both took advantage of power-plays to put Dartmouth up 3-0 going into the third. Quinnipiac scored their first and only point of the game early into the third, but Jeff Losurdo ’22 scored his first goal of the season only two minutes later to restore things to their old margins. Carl Hesler ’19 finished things off with an empty net goal in the final minutes.

After both games, Dartmouth is now 2-1-0 on the year, with the win on Saturday giving head coach Bob Gaudet his 400th career victory. Next weekend, the team will look to build on this tally, as they go on the road to take on Brown University and Yale University.

Men's Soccer

Dartmouth men’s soccer found victory in overtime this weekend, defeating Cornell University 2-1 for their sixth win of the season, putting them at 6-5-5 overall.

While the Big Green took the game in the end, Cornell was the first to put points on the board, after a corner kick in the 12th minute put the Big Red in prime position to find the back of the net, which they capitalized on. Dartmouth had six shots over the remaining minutes of the half, but were unable to put anything in. This changed only two minutes into the second, however, as Braden Salvati ’20 punched in the deflected shot of Eduvie Ikoba ’19. Despite the best efforts of both sides, the score remained 1-1 until the end of regulation, leading to extra minutes. It didn’t take long for Dartmouth to capitalize here, as Ikoba headed in a corner from Noah Paravicini ’19 in the 96th minute to give the Big Green the victory.

Dartmouth is 6-3-1 in its last 10 matches, a surge that might in part be attributed to the return of Ikoba from injury. The senior has found three goals and an assist in the last two Dartmouth games alone. The Big Green hopes to continue this run on Saturday, as they host Brown University in their final regular season game.

Women's Ice Hockey

Dartmouth women’s ice hockey took its first victory on the season from one of its two games this weekend, with the team falling to Princeton University 4-1 Friday, following with a 3-2 overtime defeat of Quinnipiac University on Saturday night.

The Big Green found the net first on Friday, with Sara McClanahan ’22 scoring her first collegiate goal at 4:40 in the first period, but the Tigers left no chance for Dartmouth to add to this tally. After a goal in response to McClanahan’s in the first, Princeton added two more in the second, and final in the third, with Dartmouth unable to find any production from their offense.

Saturday afternoon was a different story. Quinnipiac started things off very quickly, scoring their first goal only 54 seconds into the first period, but Dartmouth responded even quicker, with Tess Bracken ’19 finding the net only 26 seconds later. This round of scoring was met with a long stretch of stagnation, until Bailee Brekke ’20 put it in for her first goal of the season and third in her collegiate career. After 10 minutes, the Bobcats answered, making the score 2-2 going into the start of the third period. It remained that way at the end of the third period, forcing the game into overtime. Both teams went back and forth here, until Jennifer Costa ’21 finally finished things off with a little over a minute to go.

The victory is the first for the Big Green, putting them at 1-4-0. The team hopes to continue their success on Tuesday against the University of Vermont, and this upcoming weekend in two separate games against the Rochester Institute of Technology.

Volleyball

This weekend, the Dartmouth volleyball team (10-13, 5-7 Ivy) split its matches 1-1 against Brown University (9-12, 2-9 Ivy) and Yale University (17-4, 11-1 Ivy) to finish off the season’s home games. The Big Green’s match against Yale on Saturday marked Samantha Bozoian ’19 and Zoe Leonard ’19’s last game in Leede Arena.

The Big Green started slow against Brown on Friday, conceding the first two sets to the Bears before coming back to win in five (23-25, 19-25, 25-23, 25-19, 15-10). Double-digit kills from Elise Petit ’21 (16) and Carly Tower ’20 (14), career highs for both, bolstered the Green and White’s offensive attack. Annemarie Horn ’22 added a personal best 29 assists and 13 digs, and Zoe Leonard ’19 led the Big Green’s defensive efforts with a career-best 33 digs. The team effort was good for the Big Green’s second win over the Bears this season.

On Saturday, Dartmouth took on the Ivy League leading Yale Bulldogs on Senior Day. The Big Green lost in three close sets (21-25, 23-25, 24-26). Petit and Tower again led the Big Green offensively with six kills apiece, and Leonard was a stalwart on defense, boasting 17 digs against a fierce Yale attack. Corinne Cox ’20 led with 13 assists. The Green and White put up a good fight after losing 19-25 in all three sets on the Bulldogs’ turf earlier this season.

The Big Green will round out their season next weekend on the road, as they take on the University of Pennsylvania and Princeton University.

Women's Soccer

Dartmouth women’s soccer finished their season on an exciting high note, taking down Cornell University in a 2-1 overtime victory in Ithaca, New York. The win closes the season for the Big Green, who finish 10-5-2 and 4-2-1 in Ivy League play.

In terms of statistics, the game was massively in favor of Dartmouth, with the team finishing with 27 shots to four from Cornell, and 12 shots on goal to two from the Big Red. Despite this, the home team found the net first, putting Cornell up in the 27th minute. Dartmouth couldn’t respond successfully in the first half, and almost looked like they couldn’t in the second, until an 88th minute goal from Hayley Soriano ’20, assisted by Remy Borinsky ’19, finally put the Big Green on the board. In the overtime that followed, neither team was able to finish things off, and it took a second overtime for Izzy Glennon ’22 to seal the win for Dartmouth.

The record on the year is Dartmouth’s best since 2012, and puts them at third in the conference, the best finish since 2014.

Women's Swimming & Diving

In their season opener, the Dartmouth women’s swimming and diving team beat the University of New Hampshire Wildcats 156-134 at home with wins in nine events. Mia Leko ’22 spearheaded the Big Green’s efforts in her first meet in the Green in White, with wins in the 200-yard freestyle (1:50.76), 200-yard fly (2:03.24), and the 500-yard freestyle (5:01.59). Ashley Post ’22 tacked on another two wins in the 50-yard freestyle (24.22) and the 100-yard freestyle (52.35). Maggie Deppe-Walker ’21, Isabella Lichen ’22 and Cathleen Li ’21 rounded out the Big Green’s individual event wins to go along with a winning 200-yard medley relay from Li, Mackenzie Stumpf ’21, Connie Zhang ’22 and Zoe Wortzman ’22. The Big Green will look to continue their success next weekend in Ithaca, as they take on Cornell University and Harvard University.

Women's Tennis

The women’s tennis team hosted the Big Green Invitational from Friday to Sunday. On day one against Yale University, the team won three of its seven matches, going 2-3 in singles and 1-1 in doubles. Day two of the tournament featured players from the University of Denver and the University of Massachusetts Amherst. The Big Green was unable to secure a win for the day, falling in its two singles and one doubles matches against Denver as well as its doubles match against UMass. The team fared better the next day, winning two tough singles matches — both going the full three sets — against UMass.

Men's Tennis

From Friday to Sunday, the men’s tennis team played in both the Connecticut State Championship at Yale University and the Gopher Invitational at the University of Minnesota. On day one at Yale, the team won three of its six matches. On Sunday, Pierce Widdecombe ’22 won his flight in singles in a day in which the Big Green captured eight wins out of its 11 matches against Yale.

On day one at Minnesota, the Big Green clinched six wins out of 11 matches. The three Dartmouth doubles teams each went 1-1. David Horneffer ’20 won both of his singles matches against players from Northwestern University and Drake University. The team did even better on day two, winning six of its eight matches, including all three of its doubles matches. The team finished strong on the final day of the Gopher Invite, clinching five of its eight matches against Minnesota. This time, in a reversal of the previous day, the team won all of its singles matches.

The two tournaments marked the conclusion of the Big Green’s fall season, and the team will return to the court in January.

Field Hockey

In their final game of the season, the Dartmouth field hockey team (6-11, 2-5 Ivy) lost a heartbreaker on the road against Cornell University (5-12, 1-6 Ivy), 5-4. The Big Green struck first and fast, with a goal from Gemma Bautista ’19 in the third minute. The Big Red answered four minutes later, tying the contest at one goal apiece. Both teams went on to score two more goals in the first half, with additional goals from Carmen Braceras ’20 and the first of two from Katie Spanos ‘20. After the intermission, the Big Red scored, but Spanos found the back of the net again in the 29th minute to tie the game, 4-4. This score held as regulation expired, and the game went to shootout after a scoreless first and second overtime. In their third stroke, the Big Red put one in, and the Big Green was unable to answer in their fourth and final shot. Cornell came out on top at home for their first Ivy League win of the season.

Equestrian

Dartmouth Equestrian took on a field of 10 other schools at the University of New Hampshire show Saturday, finishing fourth and putting the Big Green two points back of the region lead, which it has been trading with the University of Vermont this fall. The performances for Dartmouth were led by Sophie Kylander ’22 and Alexa Tucker ’20, who took first in Advanced Walk Trot Canter and Beginner Walk Trot Canter, respectively. They were joined by Margot Putnam ’19, who was first in Walk Trot.

With only two more meets this fall and the race with Vermont close by the slimmest of margins, the Big Green will look to put out a strong performance at home this weekend, as the team hosts at Morton Farm on Saturday.