Editor's Note

If a Cornell or University of Pennsylvania student were to stand in the middle of the Green on a sunny day, they might overhear comments containing foreign phrases such as “My English class is such a layup” or “He never responded to my flitz....” The visitor might scratch their head, shrug their shoulders and say, “It’s all Greek to me.” At Dartmouth, we have our very own language, reflecting our unique culture cultivated in the hills of New Hampshire. With any language, there are idioms and expressions reserved for fluent speakers who understand these unique phrases.  

This week, the Mirror explores all that is Greek to us. Sixty-four percent of the eligible student body at Dartmouth is affiliated with a Greek letter organization. White-panelled and Georgian-style mansions pepper our campus — collegiate playgrounds of the sons and daughters of Dartmouth. Letters from an alphabet we do not know and a language we do not speak appear on our doors, sweatshirts and laptops. Therefore, it is only fitting that in this issue we delve into all that is related to the ancient world ­of Aristotle and Plato — just kidding! Instead, we investigate the phenomena of block rushing fraternities, follow Hercules as he strolls through campus and get a glimpse of what it’s like to feel disoriented in class.