The Weekend Roundup: Week 1

Men’s Golf

The Big Green traveled to South Carolina this weekend to compete in the Furman Intercollegiate Invitational. Despite poor weather conditions that caused a stop in play, the team finished in a tie for 13th with Winthrop University after scoring 902 (+38). In a competitive field of twenty-one teams, No. 28 North Florida finished with an impressive 17-under to claim first place.

James Turner ’21 was the top performer for the Big Green in the tournament, scoring eight-over 224 overall, which left him tied for 48th. Dartmouth’s top performer during the first two rounds, Will Bednarz ’20, struggled in the final round with an eight-over 80 to finish in a tie for 63rd place. Jason Liu ’21 had the best performance on the third day, earning five birdies in the back nine to score an even par.

The Big Green returns to action on March 30th and 31st at the Cornell Spring Event in Jupiter, Florida.

Women’s Golf

On March 19 and 20, the Dartmouth women’s golf team scored a total of 312 points to finish in a tie for eighth at the Otter Invitational in Pebble Beach, California. On day two, the 20 competing teams faced cold temperatures and constant light rain. Although the teams tried to play through it, the steady rain won out as the second day results were called off. With the final results based only on the first round, Dallas Baptist captured the team title with a score of 291 (+7). Out of the 114 total competitiors, the Big Green’s Jessica Kittelberger ’18 and Maddie Nelson ’20 tied for 32nd, Kristen Soh ’20 tied for 41st, Moon Cheong ’21 tied for 65th and Catharine Roddy ’19 tied for 83rd. Both Julianne Strauch ’21 and Bethany Burns ’20 played individually; Strauch tied for 23rd and Burns tied for 89th. The Big Green will play again in Galloway, New Jersey in the FDU Checkmate Challenge at the Seaview Golf Resort on March 31 and April 1.

Women’s Tennis

On March 20, the women’s tennis team fell to No. 2 Pepperdine 5-2. Kristina Mathis ’18 had a strong performance, beating No. 25 ranked Luisa Stefani 6-4, 6-3, but Pepperdine took the doubles point and secured victories at the No. 2, 3, 4 and 6 positions to clinch the match. 

On March 23, the Big Green lost to Long Beach State at the Rhodes Tennis Center in a close 4-3 match. While Dartmouth won the doubles point after Allison Chuang ’19 and Maddie Hwang ’21 won 7-5 and Abigail Chiu ’21 and Julia Schroeder ’18 won 7-5, they only secured two of the needed three singles matches. Now 7-7 overall following the loss, the Big Green will return for Ivy play for their March 31 opener in Hanover, taking on Harvard at 2 p.m.

Men’s Tennis

On March 22, No. 28 Dartmouth men’s tennis lost to No. 22 Memphis in a close 4-3 battle, dropping the Big Green’s record to 14-4. The team clinched the doubles point after wins by pairs Max Fliegner ’18 and Peter Conklin ’21 as well as Roko Glasnovic ’19 and Casey Ross ’21.  After the first four singles matches, Dartmouth held a narrow 3-2 lead. However, Memphis won the final two singles matches at the No.1 and No.2 positions to secure the victory. The men’s team opens their Ivy League play on Saturday, March 31 against Harvard in Cambridge, MA.

Baseball

On March 19, the Big Green lost a close game to San Jose State 4-3. The Spartans took an early 1-0 lead in the second inning, but Dartmouth scored two runs in the third to take its first lead. The score was tied 2-2 in the fourth, but San Jose had two more runs in the sixth to take the lead for good. Dartmouth was scheduled to play against Westmont on March 20, but the game was canceled and will not be rescheduled due to extreme rainfall in the Santa Barbara area. 

The Cal Poly Mustangs hosted the Dartmouth Big Green for a series of three games from March 22-24. The first day was postponed a day due to weather conditions. The Mustangs proceeded to win all three games with final scores of 10-3, 11-2 and 5-0. Dartmouth is scheduled to play Quinnipiac on Wednesday, March 28 in Hanover. Following that, the Big Green will play Penn for a series of three games from March 31 to April 1 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. 

Men’s Lacrosse

On March 20, Dartmouth men’s lacrosse lost to No. 10 Virginia with a final score of 12-6. Ben Martin ’20 had a hat trick, while George Prince ’21 finished with one goal and one assist and was first with four ground balls. Goalie George Christopher ’20 made 12 saves and allowed 12 goals.

On Saturday, Dartmouth again fell in a hard-fought loss to Harvard 10-8. The Big Green’s record dropped to 2-5 for the season and 0-1 in Ivy League play. Martin continued his strong play by scoring a hat trick for a consecutive game while teammate Prince joined him with a hat trick of his own. Jack Korzelius ’18 finished with two points from a goal and an assist and goalie George Christopher finished the game with an impressive season-high of 15 stops. 

Dartmouth will host Cornell next Saturday.

Women’s Lacrosse

Dartmouth took on Jacksonville on Wednesday for the first time in program history, and the Big Green was just able to edge out the Dolphins 17-16, extending Dartmouth’s win streak to five games. Tori Chanenchuk ’20 had three goals and three assists on the game and Ellie Carson ’20 recorded four goals and two assists. Kathryn Giroux ’19 finished the game with an astounding 19 draw controls to break the Ivy League single-game record of 15 and her own record of 13. The Big Green got a stop on the Dolphins in the final possession to close the game.

The Big Green travelled to face Princeton on Saturday, defeating them 15-12 and improving to a 6-1 record for the season. Elizabeth Mastrio ’19 led the women’s team with five goals and six points, followed by teammates Kierra Sweeney ’19’s three points and Sophia Turchetta ’20’s two points. Goalie Kiera Vrindten ’20 made 11 saves to help the Big Green in their win.

Dartmouth will travel to Cambridge to take on Harvard next Saturday.

Men & Women’s Track and Field

The Dartmouth women and men’s track and field teams traveled to Florida this past weekend to compete in the Florida State University meet, finishing in fourth and sixth places respectively. The women’s team scored 106 total points while the men’s secured 80 points. 

The Big Green women fared well in the races as Lauren Sapone ’20 took the top spot in the 2000m steeplechase with a time of 6:51.57. The highlight of the day was the 5000m race where the team earned a quarter of their points and Big Green runners earned the top three places. Led by Julia Stevenson ’20 who secured first with an impressive 16:27.50, classmates Olivia Lantz ’19 and Lillian Anderson ’19 finished within a minute of their teammate to take second and third.

The men also found luck in the event as Kyle Dotterrer ’18 and Sean Laverty ’20 took the top two spots with respective times of 14:51.43 and 14:58.69. The men won another title on the day when Alec Eschholz ’19 took second with 52.82s while third-place teammate Max Frye ’21  finished in 53.76s in the 400m hurdles.

In two weeks, the Big Green will split up to travel to California for the Sam Adams Multi-Event, to Connecticut for the Mark Young Invitational and to New Jersey for the Sam Howell Invitational.

Softball

The Big Green continued their season with a six-game away stretch this past week. Beginning by traveling to Texas, the team took two losses in a doubleheader against Lamar. In the first game, the Cardinals pulled away in the third inning by scoring five runs. Despite a rally by Michah Schroder ’20 and Calista Almer ’20 in the top of the sixth, Dartmouth was unable to bring any runners home, falling to the home team 8-0. In the second game, Dartmouth’s offensive woes continued as it fell 4-0.  

Despite the crushing early losses in Texas, the team left the Lone Star State on a positive note, defeating Houston Baptist with a 7-2 win. Dartmouth took an early lead with Claire Bird ’18 batting in McKenna Gray ’21. The Huskies attempted to rally against the 6-0 lead during the fifth inning with a homer from Demi Janak. However, Morgan Martinelli ’19 secured Dartmouth’s win with a bang, hitting a home run in the seventh inning.

Dartmouth finished their away series opening Ivy League conference play by defeating Penn 2-1 in a series of three games. In the first game, the Quakers led off with a home run by Sarah Cwiertnia and never looked back, finishing with a dominating 8-0 win. The Big Green bounced back in the second game, starting with two homers scored by Schroder. Although Penn attempted to cut the lead with two runs in the sixth, the Big Green came out on top with a score of 4-2. Dartmouth clinched the third game with a 3-1 victory. The home team took a 1-0 lead in the bottom of the second inning. The game was at a standstill until the sixth inning, when Taylor Ward ’18 broke the game open with a three-run homer. Following this week’s play, the Big Green is now 8-12 overall with a 2-1 record in the Ivy League. 

On March 31 and April 1, the team will open its home schedule with three games against Columbia.

Sailing

The sailing team competed in two events this weekend, the Joseph R. Duplin Women’s Team Race in Medford, MA and the Friss Trophy Team Race in Providence, RI. The Big Green battled through tough winds and strong ebb tides to place third in both.