Weekend Roundup: Week 9

Equestrian

The Big Green ended the fall term with its fourth consecutive win and its second home show on Saturday.

Dartmouth earned a number of blue ribbons, led by co-captain Olivia Champ ’19, who placed first in open fences and open flat before winning the high-point ride-off. Champ qualified for the regional show in open fences and finished the fall season far ahead in the Cacchione Cup standings for top rider in the region. Lilly Higgins ’20 took first in open flat as well as third in open fences while Mahalia Dalmage ’21 was first in novice flat and Sue Mohieldin ’19 earned a blue ribbon in novice flat. Sophia Kocher ’21 got first place in walk-trot-canter, and Anna Dodson ’20 added a blue ribbon in walk-trot to seal the win for Dartmouth.

Co-captain Claire Bick ’18 stood out as well, taking third in intermediate fences and second in open flat, qualifying for the regional show in open flat. Meghan Poth ’20 took second in intermediate flat, and Nathalie Ferneau ’18 took second in novice fences.

Dartmouth holds a commanding 28-point lead in the region as the fall season comes to a close.

Field Hockey

A late goal was the difference in a 2-1 loss to Cornell University in the season finale. Coming off a penalty corner, Gabby DePetro tipped in a shot in the 52nd minute to put the Big Red up for good.

Dartmouth was on its back foot early as Cornell took nine penalty corners and 12 shots in the first half. The home team took three penalty corners and five shots. The Big Red took the early lead on a penalty shot in the sixth minute, but Dartmouth tied up the contest just before halftime. Tatum Schultz ’21 took a pass inside the shooting circle, spun and found Katie Spanos ’20 in the slot for an easy goal. Though play evened out in the second half, Dartmouth could not answer DePetro’s tally. In net, Hailey Valerio ’19 made six saves and benefited from two defensive saves. The Big Green has now lost five straight to Cornell.

Football

Dartmouth bounced back from last week’s defeat at Harvard University with a 10-0 win over Cornell University. In a game that featured 23 punts, the defense played well against a sputtering Cornell University attack while the offense put up just enough points to win. Dartmouth scored on its second drive of the game when quarterback Jack Heneghan ’18 found wide receiver Hunter Hagdorn ’20 from 23 yards out. Heneghan had an opportunity for another touchdown midway through the second quarter, as Emory Thompson ’18 found space behind the Cornell secondary, but the ball was underthrown and intercepted at the three-yard line.

Ryder Stone ’18 played the role of bellcow, carrying 28 times for 120 yards. Stone ran physically and found space several times against the Cornell defense, earning four of Dartmouth’s six rushing first downs. Heneghan completed 16 passes for 141 yards. As a team, the Big Green earned just under four yards per play, a season low. On the other side of the ball, the defense held Cornell to 250 yards of total offense. A week after giving up 169 rushing yards to Harvard, Dartmouth’s run defense allowed just 52 yards on 34 attempts.

Midway through the fourth quarter, Cornell had a final chance to put points on the board. But a pass went through the hands of Big Red receiver Collin Shaw and was intercepted by Isiah Swann ’20. Dartmouth burned up nearly five minutes on the next drive, and David Smith ’18 converted a 33-yard field goal to end the game.

Both teams are now 3-2 in the Ivy League, tied with Harvard and Columbia University for second place. All four squads are chasing Yale University which sits atop the Ancient Eight with a 4-1 record.

Hockey

The women’s ice hockey team began a nine-game homestand by beating the University of Maine 3-0.

Sabrina Huett ’20, Kate Landers ’19 and Cecilia Lopez ’20 did the scoring for the Big Green. The game was scoreless until the 13:42 mark of the second period, when Huett deflected a shot from Hailey Noronha ’18 between the pads of Maine goalie Carly Jackson. It was Huett’s first collegiate goal. In the third period, Lopez found herself alone in front of the net, and her backhand shot trickled past Jackson. Landers added an empty-netter with 12 seconds left. Christine Honor ’19 stood tall between the pipes as she stopped 37 Maine shots.

The women lost 7-2 to the Black Bears on Sunday. Lopez and Noronha made one goal each. Shannon Ropp ’19 made 10 saves while Honor made 14 in the loss. The women will host Yale University on Friday and Brown University on Saturday.

Playing on home ice for the first time this season, the men swept the weekend with a 4-3 win over Brown on Friday and a 3-1 victory over Yale the following day.

Kevan Kilistoff ’19 headlined Dartmouth’s attack in the win over Brown. The Big Green captain lit the lamp less than five minutes in with a shot from the left circle that found its way past Brown goalie Luke Kania. Two minutes later, Corey Kalk ’18 buried his own rebound to put Dartmouth up 2-0, and the Big Green extended its lead to three with a shorthanded goal at the beginning of the second period. Again it was Kilistoff, who fed Daniel Warpecha ’20 in the right circle for the team’s first shorthanded goal of the season. Brown struck back with two quick goals, the first at the 1:57 mark and the second at 2:28 on a nifty no-look assist. Nearly 10 minutes later, Kilistoff restored Dartmouth’s lead to two, putting home a rebound from a shot by Tim Shoup ’18. Despite a late goal from Brown’s Sam Lafferty, Dartmouth held for the 4-3 win.

Yale came to Hanover fresh off a 5-2 upset over No. 3 Harvard University, but Devin Buffalo ’18 contained the Elis to help the Big Green complete the weekend sweep. Buffalo stopped 26 of 27 Yale shots as Dartmouth made its 15 shots count. The Big Green took advantage of a 5-on-3 power play for its first goal. Kalk sent a pass across the slot to Alex Jasiek ’19, who sent home a gloveside shot. Dartmouth’s second goal came when Charley Michalowski ’20 went top shelf at the 13:36 mark of the second period, and Warpecha scored his second shorthanded goal of the weekend to give the Big Green its third goal of the night. The lone blemish on Buffalo’s night was a shorthanded goal for Yale’s Joe Snively, who sent it past the Dartmouth netminder on a breakaway. Buffalo finishes the weekend with 50 saves and four goals allowed. In the two games combined, Dartmouth scored on two of nine power plays and went 12 for 12 on the penalty kill.

Rowing

The men’s heavyweight and lightweight teams and the women’s team hosted the Green Monster, a first-year only event at home on the Connecticut River this Sunday. The race was the final event of the fall season for both men’s teams.

The heavyweight and lightweight teams raced in a combined men’s race. The heavyweights won the men’s race in a time of 13:59.6. Lightweight placed fourth in 14:38.6, and the second heavyweight boat was fifth in 14:40.1. The second heavyweight boat originally finished in 14:30.1 but a missed buoy added 10 seconds.

On the women’s side, Dartmouth A and B swept the first two places. The A boat finished in 15:55.0 while the B boat edged out Boston College’s boat by nearly three seconds to finish in 16:19.0.

Soccer

No. 19 men’s soccer secured a share of the Ivy League title and a berth in the NCAA Tournament with a 1-0 win over Cornell University for its seventh shutout of the season. The team improves to 11-3-1 overall and 5-0-1 in conference play.

The game was scoreless through halftime until the 74th minute, when Dawson McCartney ’21 found Eduvie Ikoba ’19, who headed the ball into the net to put the Big Green up for good. The men were held to 11 shots throughout the game, while Cornell only took four. Justin Donawa ’19 and Tyler Dowse ’18 each took two shots on goal. Both teams played aggressively, as Cornell racked up 15 fouls while Dartmouth added nine.

The Big Green celebrated Senior Day, recognizing tri-captains Matt Danilack ’18, Tyler Dowse ’18 and Wyatt Omsberg ’18, as well as Yima Asom ’18. The group of four make up Dartmouth’s first class in men’s soccer history to win four Ivy League titles in their four years playing for the Big Green.

Women’s soccer closed its season on Saturday with its first Ivy League win of the season over Cornell University, 1-0. The Big Green finish its season with a 7-10-0 record overall and a 1-6-0 conference record.

Dartmouth held possession from the start and took the lead for good in the 22nd minute when co-captain Bianca Ribi ’18 found Erin Kawakami ’21 in the goal box. Kawakami took a shot from the center and put the ball into the left side of the net for her first collegiate goal. Kawakami finished her first year with one goal, 10 shots and three assists. Five of her shots came during Saturday’s game.

Mariel Gordon ’21 made two saves on the day and got the win, playing the full 90 minutes of regulation. The Big Green took 16 shots, while Cornell took six. Cornell’s goalkeeper, Meghan Kennedy, made seven saves. Gordon finished her first year with four shutouts and 68 saves.

The women honored Zainab Bakrin ’18, Brittany Champagne ’18, Lindsay Knutson ’18, Gia Parker ’18 and Ribi for Senior Day.

Swimming and Diving

Men’s swimming and diving opened its season with a win over Boston College on Saturday at home, 192-108. The Big Green got off to a good start in diving, sweeping the top three spots in 3-meter and 1-meter diving board, with Justin Sodokoff ’21 (344.03 in 3m, 313.95 in 1m) first in both, AJ Krok ’19 (327.30 in 3m, 291.44 in 1m) in second and Ray Neistat ’20 (307.88 in 3m, 277.26 in 1m) in third.

Connor LaMastra ’21 won three events: the 200-yard butterfly (1:49.21), 100-yard butterfly (50.48 seconds) and the 200-yard individual medley (1:53.19). Delaney Hall ’19 won the 100-yard breaststroke in 58.86s and the 200-yard breaststroke in 2:07.13, while Brandon Liao ’21 won the 50- and 100-yard freestyle races in 21.48 and 47.88 seconds, respectively. Three other Big Green athletes took home individual wins. Josh Hendell ’20 won the 1,000-yard freestyle in 9:54.61, co-captain Tony Shen ’18 won the 200-yard freestyle in 1:42.95 and Stas Van Genderen ’21 won the 500-yard freestyle in 4:44.31. The relay team of LaMastra, Liao, Henry Patrick ’20 and Shen won the 400-yard freestyle in 3:09.51.

The Big Green continue its season next weekend, traveling to Cambridge, Massachusetts to face conference rivals Cornell University and Harvard University on Saturday.

Tennis

The men’s tennis team opened the three-day Gopher Invitational at the University of Minnesota on Friday. In the first round of doubles, University of Utah duos defeated Dartmouth pairings Gilbert Jaeger ’21 and John Speicher ’21 and Peter Conklin ’21 and Casey Ross ’21. Roko Glasnovic ’19 and David Horneffer ’20 won 6-3 over a duo from the University of Notre Dame, as well as another Fighting Irish pairing in the second round, following up with a quarterfinal win over a team from the University of Wisconsin. On the singles courts, Horneffer, Jaeger and Speicher earned straight-set wins in the first round. Conklin, Glasnovic and Ross and fell, though Ross took his Utah opponent to three sets.

Dartmouth won eight singles matches and one doubles match on Saturday. Conklin, Jaeger and Ross went undefeated on the day in singles matches while Glasnovic and Speicher also picked up singles wins. On the final day, the Big Green got another two doubles wins and four singles wins. Jaeger finished the weekend undefeated in singles, and classmates Conklin, Ross and Speicher finished 3-1. Glasnovic and Horneffer ended the tournament 3-1 in doubles. On Friday and Saturday, Paul Midgley ’18 competed at the Connecticut State Championship hosted by Yale University. Midgley won in straight sets on Friday before dropping his semifinal match the following day.

In its last invitational of the fall term, Dartmouth hosted Yale University, the University of Massachusetts Amherst and the University of Minnesota for the three-day Big Green Invite.

On day one, the Big Green split its doubles matches 2-2 and won three of five singles matches. Yale duos defeated Racquel Lyn ’20 and Kristina Mathis ’18 7-6 and downed Allison Chuang ’19 and Allison McCann ’20 6-2. Meanwhile, Jasmine Abidi ’21 and Maddie Hwang ’21 blanked their Eli opponents, and Chuyang Guan ’20 and Shannon Mukerji ’18 won 6-4. Abidi, Mathis and McCann earned singles wins with Mathis prevailing in three sets.

The women won three of eight doubles matches the following day, two against UMass and one against Minnesota. Chuang and Mukerji bested their UMass opponents 6-2 while Abidi and Guan pulled out a 7-5 win. Lyn and McCann provided the lone doubles win against the Gophers. Hwang, Lyn, Mathis and McCann had singles wins as the Big Green dropped four other matches against Minnesota opponents.

The third day saw the Big Green romp over UMass in singles as Dartmouth won seven of eight matches. Guan and Hwang played their opponents to a superbreaker, and Lyn bested her opponent on a tiebreaker. Abidi, Chuang, McCann and Mukerji added straight-set victories.

At the Oracle Intercollegiate Tennis Association National Fall Championship, Abigail Chiu ’21 and Julia Schroeder ’18 lost in the second round of the consolation bracket. Against Northwestern University, the duo fell 6-3, 6-3.

Volleyball

Volleyball defeated Brown University 3-1 on Friday but fell to Yale University 3-0 on Saturday, moving its overall record to 8-13 and 4-8 in conference play. The victory against Brown was the team’s first away win all season.

Mallen Bischoff ’21 and Tori Dozier ’20 both had double-doubles on Friday — Bischoff with 15 kills and 14 digs and Dozier with 41 assists and 12 digs — to lead the Big Green to victory against Brown. The score was very close in the first set and was tied at 22-22 before the Bears made it to set point at 24-22. An error from the Bears brought the Big Green within one, but Dartmouth was unable to close, just falling in the first set 25-23. The second set ended with the same score, but this time the Big Green were on top, 25-23. Dartmouth then took the next two sets, 25-21 each. Lauren Douglas ’21 led the team with 20 digs on the day, while Zoe Leonard ’19 made 16. Sara Lindquist ’18 made 12 kills, and Carly Tower ’20 made 10.

In its final road match of the season, the Big Green fell to Yale. Bischoff led the team with nine kills, Dozier had her second double-double of the weekend with 20 assists and 15 digs, Leonard made 13 digs and Tower made eight kills in the loss. In the first set, the Elis took a quick 3-0 lead, but the Big Green stayed close, tying the game at 18-18. Yale ran away with the first set 25-21 and 25-17 in the second. In the third, the Big Green held a seven-point lead at 17-10, but Yale came back strong to take the lead 19-18. The game was tied again at 23-23, but Yale put up two quick kills to seal the match, 25-23.

Dartmouth wraps up its season with its final home matches this weekend against the University of Pennsylvania and Princeton University on Friday and Saturday, respectively.