The Weekday Roundup: Week 5

Equestrian

The Big Green equestrian team, the defending Ivy League champions, finished second in the 2017 Ivy Championship show this past Sunday. Host Cornell University won five individual titles en route to the win — the Big Red’s second conference championship in the last three seasons.

Competition began with the open classes. Lilly Higgins ’20 and Sophie Lenihan ’20 took second and third, respectively, in the open fences class, with Higgins moving on to the open fences championship, where she placed fourth.

Dartmouth excelled in the novice classes. Storey Dyer Kloman ’17 rode to first in her novice flat class, sending her to the novice flat championship, which she also won. Cristiana Salvatori ’17 won her novice fences class and advanced to the novice fences championship, where she took second. The Big Green had a host of other riders competing at the novice level — three others in novice fences and five in novice flat.

In intermediate fences, Kloman came in second, while Meg Rauner ’17 won her intermediate flat class and took fifth in the intermediate flat championship.

Holly Langley ’19 took second in walk trot canter, while Sue Mohieldin ’19 and Alexandria Chen ’20 notched third-place finishes in their respective canter class.

The season is now finished for all but four Big Green riders. Rauner, Claire Bick ’18 and Olivia Champ ’19 will ride at the Intercollegiate Horse Show Association National Championships in May, while Erin McCarthy-Keeler ’19 will represent Dartmouth in the McDonald Scholarship Challenge.

Baseball

The baseball team wrapped up its four-game series against Yale University, splitting a two-game doubleheader on Monday. The games were originally scheduled for last Saturday, but rain pushed the games to Monday. Dartmouth left New Haven, Connecticut, four games behind the Bulldogs in the Red Rolfe Division of the Ivy League.

The Big Green took the first game of Monday’s doubleheader 7-2, becoming the team’s lone win of the four-game series. Beau Sulser ’16 pitched a complete game, conceding two runs on four hits while striking out eight. The righty currently leads the Ivy League in ERA (1.66) and improved to 5-1 with the win. Center fielder Trevor Johnson ’20 went 3-for-5, with two runs and two RBI singles. Adam Gauthier ’16 contributed a two-run double, while Kyle Holbrook ’18 and Dustin Shirley ’18 each drove in one.

Later that afternoon, however, Dartmouth fell 6-1 as Yale’s Kumar Nambiar pitched seven innings of one-run ball, giving up five hits while striking out seven. The lone Big Green run came on a solo home run off the bat of first baseman Michael Ketchmark ’17. The Bulldogs strung together two three-run innings thanks to Benny Wanger, who hit a three-run double in the third and a three-run home run in the fifth.

On Wednesday, Dartmouth tied Siena College 9-9. Siena got off to an early 5-0 lead in the first inning and led the Big Green 8-4 as late as the seventh inning, but the Big Green clawed its way back to tie the game in the top of the ninth. Shortstop Justin Fowler ’18 went 2-for-5 with three RBIs, while Shirley, Holbrook and Mike Brown ’19 each contributed two hits and one RBI. The Big Green relied on six different pitchers to get through the game, while Siena used seven. The game was stopped after 10 innings due to darkness.