Anita Brown has worked at College for over 45 years

Anita Brown, current administrative assistant for Dartmouth's alumni relations department, has worked at the College for over 45 years.

It has been over 45 years since Anita Brown began her career at the institution she now calls home. She currently works as an administrative assistant in the College’s alumni relations department, but Brown’s service to the college has taken many forms in multiple offices.

After graduating from Champlain College, located in Burlington, Vermont, Brown was led to the Hanover area by a fellow graduate in need of a roommate. In 1971, she began working for the Dartmouth Medical School, now known as the Geisel School of Medicine, as an administrative assistant.

Since then, Brown has changed positions multiple times. After her time at the medical school, she moved to work in the environmental studies department and then alumni relations, where she currently works.One of the aspects about working at Dartmouth she most appreciates is that employees can apply to other positions of interest while still working for the same institution, she said.

Her longest, and favorite, tenured position at Dartmouth was her time in the department of environmental studies, where she worked for 16 years.

“I saw it go from a beginning program to what it is today,” she said.

She especially enjoyed working with Jim Hornig, the director of the program at the time.

“I always felt I was working with him and not for him,” she said.

Since 2009, Brown has worked in the Office of Alumni Relations office as the administrative assistant for the communities team. According to vice president of alumni relations Martha Beattie, this team oversees all the alumni regional clubs, affiliated groups, shared interest groups and women of Dartmouth groups.

Brown loves interacting with the alumni, especially the ones who she once worked with as students, she said.

Mark Hoffman, associate director of operations for alumni relations and Brown’s colleague, said that Brown’s enthusiasm for her job makes those she works with feel important.

“[Brown] has a unique ability to make people — especially alumni volunteers — feel heard, respected and valued,” Hoffman said.

He regularly receives comments from alumni volunteers specifically noting Brown’s responsiveness and positive attitude.

After spending nearly half a century working with the Dartmouth community, Brown’s longevity at the College brings a unique perspective to campus, Hoffman said.

“I think [Brown] is a repository of important facts and histories and traditions, as well as policy rationale,” he said.

Beattie noted Brown’s special ability to serve as an ambassador for the College because she is so widely known and respected in the alumni community after her many years of service.

“She serves as a real anchor and knowledge base for the different people who have come and gone in her department,” Beattie said.

For her own part, Brown has observed some broad changes in the community, most of them for the better. For example, she has noted a significant increase in diversity within the College compared to when she started out.

Despite the obstacles that often rise with significant changes, Brown said that things have always worked out.

Both Beattie and Hoffman specifically mentioned Browns contagious laugh as an example of her positivity.

“She is a wonderfully upbeat and important member of all that is being accomplished here,” Hoffman said. “It’s a privilege to work with her every day.”