Students hold demonstration opposing Trump's election

Signs displayed varying messages on social justice movements and self-care.

A small, impromptu camp-out on the Green has since grown into a larger demonstration of solidarity against President-elect Donald Trump. The demonstration — which was initiated by two seniors early Wednesday morning — has now attracted over 60 Dartmouth students, faculty and community members. 

At 4 p.m., students began "a peaceful walk for love, unity and community," starting from the center of the Green. 

Students, some sobbing and others holding their heads in their hands, held signs reading, “This is not acceptable. Complacency is not an option,” while others made signs related to gender equality, the #BlackLivesMatter movement and other social justice causes.

Many students also created posters with positive messages on them, such as “take care of each other,” with plans to distribute them around campus. Sleeping bags, pizza boxes, donuts, blankets and yoga mats were strewn across the grass.

“[We’re here] to show the school and the world that we care and that we are not going to be complacent and we are not going to sit by and do nothing,” Julia Dressel ’17 said.

Dressel and her roommate Grace Carney ’17, who jointly initiated the demonstration, stayed on the Green all night after viewing the election results. The pair awoke to strangers, classmates and friends dropping off food and warm drinks, and decided to reach out to various groups on campus to join the peaceful sit-down. This afternoon, Provost Carolyn Dever spoke with the students demonstrating, offering assistance.

“I’m inspired by our students’ compassion and warmth and caring. I’m inspired by this vision right here,” she said about the group.

The group was primarily composed of women, something Hannah Markowitz ’18 noticed when she first arrived.

“The people who are affected are the only ones who care enough to do this,” she said. “This is the first time being a woman — I’m otherwise not a minority student here — has really made me feel so much empathy and makes me start to realize how scared people must be every day. I think it’s terrible how few men are here.”