The Roundup

Baseball

The Dartmouth baseball team fell 5-4 to Quinnipiac University in its home opener after failing to keep a 3-1 lead in the first inning. Quinnipiac improved to 7-14 while the Big Green fell to 5-14.

In the first inning, the Bobcats earned a run after a wild pitch by Big Green starter Jackson Bubala ’17 with the bases loaded. A pitching switch by the Big Green allowed Chris Burkholder ’17 to get out of the inning only down a run.

The Big Green exploded for three runs in the bottom of the first inning. Joe Purritano ’16 hit a two-run triple to reach third base with runners on the corners. Michael Ketchmark ’17 hit a single to lead Purritano home and give the Big Green a 3-1 lead.

Quinnipiac cut the lead to 3-2 in the fourth after strong base running.

In the fifth inning, the Big Green gave up two more runs and the lead after suspect infielding to trail 4-3. Quinnipiac scored the game winner in the seventh inning while the Big Green left two runners stranded on the bases in the bottom of the inning.

Strong pitching by the Bobcats held Dartmouth scoreless from the second through the seventh inning. The Big Green scored a run in the eighth inning, but Robert Hitt closed out the game for Quinnipiac. Both teams recorded 10 hits.

Men’s lacrosse

Big Green men’s lacrosse was outmatched at the University of Vermont on Tuesday night. Despite scoring first in every period, Dartmouth (1-7, 1-1 Ivy) fell 15-9 to the Catamounts (5-5).

Richard Loftus ’18 struck the first blow for Dartmouth, notching the opening goal after 2:16 of play. UVM responded with two goals of its own, bringing the first quarter score to 2-1 in favor of the Catamounts.

The second quarter followed the same script, as Cameron Lee ’16’s opening goal was followed by two more from UVM late in the period. KC Beard ’16’s unassisted score cut the Catamounts’ lead to 4-3 in the third quarter, but UVM answered with five goals, interrupted by just one Dartmouth tally.

Vermont took a 9-4 lead into the fourth quarter and proceeded to outscore the Big Green 6-5 for a 15-9 total at the final horn. Loftus continued a recent scoring streak with four goals on eight shots, and netminder Joe Balaban ’19 totaled 19 saves in the first full game of his college career. However, the Big Green was outshot for the first time since March 5, with the Catamounts getting the best of a 53-40 split.