One-on-One with Jack Barre '16

This week, The Dartmouth spoke with men’s hockey player Jack Barre ’16. The soft-spoken, 6’2” forward was recently named ECAC Hockey Player of the Week for the second time in his career.

Barre recorded a career-high three assists in Dartmouth’s resounding 5-2 victory over Clarkson University last Friday. He backed that performance up with a key goal in the Big Green’s 4-2 upset victory over then No. 18 St. Lawrence University. For the week, Barre led all ECAC hockey players in points (5), assists (4) and plus/minus (+4).

Now that you are a senior how have you seen the program develop over your time here?

JB:In recent years we have implemented new systems that play more to our strengths, which are speed and skill. I just have a lot of respect for the program as a whole because of the way we go about our business such as our relationship with Caleb Nelson.

Can you talk a little bit more about Caleb for people who are not familiar with his story?

JB:Caleb is 12-years-old and suffers from a life threatening illness. He has been part of our team for four years now, hanging out in the locker-room and coming to all home games. We met Caleb through Team IMPACT and it has been great to have him around.

What influence has head coach Bob Gaudet ’81 had on your game?

JB:I came in as a freshman and was battling for ice time. For me, he really emphasized the defensive side of the game as well as the penalty kill. That’s what kept me in the lineup for three years. This year I’ve taken the pressure off of myself a little bit and the goals have been coming naturally.

What does it mean to you to win an individual honor like ECAC Hockey Player of the Week?

JB:It’s definitely an honor and feels good but getting the two wins there was much more important. When you are scoring points it makes you feel better about yourself and your game. To be honored like that by the league office validates you in some way.

You guys lost a close 1-0 decision to the University of Vermont a couple weeks ago where there were over 4,000 fans present to see Martin St. Louis’s jersey retirement ceremony, what was is it like playing in that type of atmosphere?

JB:Obviously, he’s a legend and everyone knows who he is. He had a tremendous impact on that program and the crowd was going absolutely nuts. It was amazing to see his jersey get retired and his reaction. Playing in that type of environment was truly special.

Goalie Charles Grant ’16 has been playing great this season. What has he meant to this team?

JB:It’s hard to have success when you don’t have good goal tending. When you have a good goalie you feel like you have a chance to win every game and he just gives us that extra bit of confidence. He has stepped up his game quite a bit and it has really helped the team.

What challenges do the perennial powers Cornell University and Colgate University pose this week?

JB:Cornell is really physical so we have to get to the net and just do whatever it takes. We lost to Colgate last year in the playoffs so there is a lot of build up for that matchup.

Your great grandfather Howard Fahey ’15 played for the Dartmouth hockey team, has Dartmouth hockey always been an important part of your family?

JB:I think he was on the original team in 1910. Unfortunately, I never knew him but it’s for sure a pretty cool story.

What are your goals for the rest of the year?

JB:One thing we always try to preach is to be one of the best defensive teams in the league. We have been moving in the right direction in that regard but it’s still a big point of emphasis for us. We just want to stick to our systems and be disciplined. Hopefully, we can string a few wins together.

This interview has been edited and condensed.