Eric Fanning '90 nominated secretary of the Army

Eric Fanning ’90 was nominated to be the secretary of the Army, which, if confirmed by Congress, would make him the first openly gay secretary of a military branch.

President Barack Obama nominated Fanning on Sept. 18 to replace outgoing secretary John McHugh.In this position, Fanning will be responsible for all matters relating to the Army, including personnel, manpower, financial management, communications and weapon systems.

In terms of his ability to lead a military branch, Fanning’s outstanding leadership matters more than his sexuality, East Tennessee State University’s Roan Scholars Leadership Program director and Fanning’s freshman roommate at Dartmouth Scott Jeffress ’90 said. Fanning’s leadership and impeccable character enabled him to navigate some of the Army’s most challenging and complex issues, he said.

Fanning currently serves as the acting under secretary of the Army and chief management officer. Fanning previously served as the special assistant to the secretary and deputy secretary of Defense. His career in the Department of Defense extends across other military branches where he gained experience through his roles as acting secretary of the Air Force, under secretary of the Air Force and deputy secretary of the Navy. Fanning himself never served in the armed forces.

Fanning’s sexuality is important for some, but it is not why he was appointed secretary of the Army, Jeffress said.

“He is an exceptional leader and has worked hard since he graduated 25 years ago,” he said.

Fanning ascended to his current role because of his drive, judgment and the relationships and sound reputation he has built in Washington, D.C., his close friend and director of the Connor Integrative Health Network at University Hospitals of Cleveland Susan Luria ’89 said.

She explained that Fanning did not come out as gay to any of his friends until a few years after college, but when he did, his friends were incredibly supportive.

Although Luria said that she is thrilled to see him in this role, she dislikes it when the headlines of news articles about his accomplishments lead with his sexual identity rather than his character and expertise. Fanning’s recent appointment is a result genuine nature and not playing politics, she said.

“He is about competence, authenticity, respect and integrity, even when others around him may not display it,” Luria said. “It’s great to see someone who has done this through every step of his life.”

The opportunity that has been presented to Fanning is entirely deserved, New Jersey senate minority leader Tom Kean ’90, R-New Jersey, said. Kean and Fanning were both members of Psi Upsilon fraternity while students at the College.

While at Dartmouth, Kean recalled Fanning as being involved in a multitude of different activities, and said he was someone who spent a lot of time volunteering. Psi U organized a camp for diabetic children over the pair’s sophomore summer and Fanning helped to organize the event, Kean said.

While at Dartmouth, Fanning was a history major. He was also involved in the World Affairs Council, the Tucker Foundation, the Rockefeller Center, the government department, Dartmouth Special Olympics and tutoring at Hanover High School, friends from his time at the College said. He also served as an undergraduate advisor for first-year students.

Fanning was the recipient of Dartmouth’s Barrett All-Around Achievement Cup upon graduating from Dartmouth, according to the Dartmouth Alumni Magazine. The cup is awarded to the senior man who shows the greatest promise of becoming a factor in the outside world.

Fanning was compassionate, articulate and intelligent as a member of the World Affairs Council, fellow member Robert Harris ’90 said. Harris said Fanning would be a major asset as secretary of the Army.

“I am personally excited that he is in that position,” Harris said. “The country is lucky to have him in that capacity. I hope he gets confirmed.”

Fanning was one of the first people Jay Matson ’91 met when he arrived at the College, where he was Matson’s UGA.

“I liked the fact that he was balanced,” Matson said. “On the one hand, he could provide us with guidance that we needed as we were learning the campus, classes and professors, but at the same time, he was relaxed and he had a sense of humor. You knew you could turn to him for support if you needed him.”

“I am so proud of Eric,” Jane Williams ’90 said. “Of all of my friends, it makes the most sense that he would be at this level of leading our country. Even back then, he was wise beyond his years.”

Fanning was not available to comment for this story.