Drake, Bjork top best albums so far

As spring term comes to a close and summer is now in sight, it’s hard to believe that we are nearly halfway through 2015. It seems like just yesterday music blogs, radio stations and television specials were reflecting on 2014 and releasing their “Best Of” lists. Now that June is officially upon us, it’s already time to start reflecting on some of the top albums released so far in 2015.

Björk — Vulnicura (2015)

This January, Iceland’s reigning queen of art-pop released her ninth studio album, “Vulnicura.” Unlike some of her more elaborate albums from the past, Björk gets pretty basic by coming out with a breakup album — arguably the most common theme from pop artists these days. Björk always seems to have the ability to transform even the most simplistic of tracks into intricate collections, however, which separated her from other artists. The orchestral strings, electronic beats and production touches from guest performers Arca and The Haxan Cloak make up for what’s lacking in the lyrics in “Vulnicura,” an album that tells the autobiographical story of Björk’s failed relationship and breakup with artist Matthew Barney. The dark and hopeless mood of the album shifts with the seventh song, “Atom Dance,” to one of tattered optimism. The album concludes with “Quicksand,” a relatively positive song, accurately portraying Björk’s emotional transition on dealing with her breakup. “Vulnicura” is a raw, honest and personal album that makes no concessions — and is much better for it.

Bob Dylan — Shadows in the Night (2015)

It’s virtually impossible to reflect on the albums released early this year without mentioning our old friend, Bob Dylan. His 36th studio album, “Shadows in the Night,” is a collection of covers of traditional pre-rock pop standards made famous by none other than Frank Sinatra. Dylan manages to transform everything on the album with Sinatra as a uniting presence. Like his folk and blues covers from his 1992 and 1993 LPs, his newest album released in February seems to bring out a voice in Dylan that has not yet been heard. Despite receiving criticism for it over the years, Dylan’s voice seems to be the most impressive and surprising part of this album. Sure, his fractured vocals venture wildly off pitch at points during the album, but it works. Unlike many of his peers who continue to simply tour their big hits, at 73, Dylan looks for solace in the past in the most refreshing way in “Shadows of the Night.”

Drake — If You’re Reading This, It’s Too Late (2015)

You won’t find any radio-hit singles on Drake’s surprise release mixtape dropped early this February. The album’s low stakes allowed Drake to play on his strengths and arguably create his most experimental work since “Thank Me Later” (2010). Probably his most cohesive album to date, “If You’re Reading This, It’s Too Late,” is complex, intense and very personal. Although Drake has always been pretty open in his work, he takes it to a new level in this album, completely opening up to his fans. The overwhelming amount of venting and the title’s clear allusion to suicide makes listeners question his mental state, but I think that is part of the beauty of the album. Drake seems more emotional and sure of himself than anything he has put out in the past, but still plays it cool. Drake’s star status comes into play as his lyrics are turned in common phrases — “running through the six with my woes” — but reminds listeners that he has grown from the rapper he was during the height of his popularity four years ago.

The Knocks — So Classic EP (2015)

Although their debut album isn’t due out until later this fall, the Knocks premiered the “So Classic” EP earlier this year, as a teaser for what is still to come. The electric duo of Ben “B-Roc” Ruttner and James “Mr. JPatt” Patterson, hailing from New York City, have been working together for a while now. The duo’s tracks have primarily taken off and gained popularity on the internet, like “The One” from last year’s Comfortable EP. Their newest collection includes five disco-inspired bangers, including their most recent hit single, “Classic” (2014). The Knocks are continuing to hold up their reputation as one of the most exciting electronic music acts today, as they continue to produce refreshing new sounds that take us back to the days of funk. Like much of their work, “Classic” takes retro beats and adds a modern twist, resulting in some really infectious beats and catchy tracks.