Students petition to preserve professor Milde’s position

Following restructuring in the chemistry department that has led to the apparent dissolution of SiobhanMilde’s position as a senior lecturer, support for Milde has spread among members of the student body, resulting in a petition created by chemistry major Josie Coury ’15. As of press time the petition has accrued 756 signatures from both undergraduate and graduate students alike, Coury said.

Addressed to College President Phil Hanlon, administrators and the chemistry department, the petition argues for preserving Milde’s status as a contracted senior lecturer and head lab director. This position included teaching “Quantitative Reasoning in Chemistry” and both “General Chemistry” courses, as well as working with undergraduates in lab sessions. The petition further states that if maintaining Milde’s position is no longer feasible in any form, that she at least be accorded “proper notice” and time to prepare.

Milde wrote in an email that her position as a senior lecturer with the chemistry department had been “dissolved” for various reasons, but did not elaborate further. She said that she is presently focused on helping her current students and is thankful for the opportunities she has had while working at the College.

Chemistry department chair Dale Mierke wrote in an email that the department “has not fired” Milde, and that she has been asked to apply to a newly created position of lab manager.

In an email, Mierke explained with the recruitment of two new junior faculty members this year, as well as one new faculty member in 2013 and 2014 each, the chemistry department “will return to full strength with respect to its tenure-track faculty.” These additions, he further wrote, allow these faculty members to take over lecturing roles previously filled by “non-tenure-track colleagues.”

To accommodate these changes, he wrote, the department has opted to reorganize a non-tenure-track position as laboratory manager, “reflecting the revised scope of the new appointment to laboratory responsibilities.”

Coury said she created the petition because she said Milde had a profound impact on her chemistry education, calling Milde an “integral part” of her experience. The petition, which was created four days ago, has already gained a traction via social media platforms, such as the application Yik Yak, Facebook and campus listservs, Coury said.

Despite having drafted the petition and being a chemistry major, Coury said that she was not completely certain of the circumstances surrounding the dissolution of Milde’s position. She said she had been expecting to hear more from the department, adding she has heard many rumors from her fellow students.

“It’s just very confusing for all of us,” she said.

She added that she thinks her classmates want to know why the department is restructuring and what Milde’s new potential role will be. In terms of the petition, Coury said she is hopeful that it will have an impact.

“I think they will take it seriously,” she said. “It seems like they aren’t 100 percent certain of what their decision is.”

Cecilia Torres ’18 said she supported the petition because she is involved with the Dartmouth Alliance for Socioeconomic Awareness and is concerned with the effect of socioeconomic class on student success at the College. Torres said that having a strong introductory chemistry professor like Milde is important to ensure that all students are going into upper level chemistry courses at the same level.

Torres said she feels the chemistry department’s communication to students of Milde’s “discontinuation” felt abrupt and vague.

Daniela Pelaez ’16, who is currently in Milde’s “General Chemistry” course and took “Quantitative Reasoning in Chemistry,” said Milde is an “amazing individual.” Pelaez recounted an instance when Milde drove her to the hospital when she was sick and stayed with her during her visit.

Pelaez, who is helping Coury with the petition, said she hopes that they will be able to bring the petition to the chemistry department to demonstrate the student reaction to Milde’s discontinuation, citing the fact that the petition has been signed by students across all disciplines, not just from within the chemistry department.

Pelaez said she also worries about the loss of a woman in a “STEM” — science, technology, engineering and mathematics — department. She said the field often falls short in terms of representing women.

Missy Cantave ’16 said she sent the petition out to her sorority because she believes Milde is a caring professor who will take the time to get to know students academically and otherwise.

“I think one of the reasons people come to Dartmouth is that relationship with your professors,” she said. “It’s a place where people want professors to care about their students, and losing someone like that is sort of defeating the purpose.”