Solarize Hanover project promotes solar energy

Over 10 contracts to install solar panels have been signed during round two of the Solarize Hanover project, which is set to end on Jan. 31. Town officials involved in the project said they are hoping for more finalized contracts by the end of the month.

The town of Hanover is working with Vital Communities, a nonprofit based in White River Junction, in order to promote solar energy amongst small businesses and residences.

Town residents can visit the Vital Community website and request a site visit, after which they can obtain an estimate as to how much an installation would cost. So far, there have been 255 site visit requests during round two.

Two to three days after the site visit, potential buyers will be given a contract and have until Jan. 31 to submit signed contracts. Of those 255 site visit requests, a majority have been completed, and over 200 contracts have been sent out.

Vital Communities is working with 10 communities in the New Hampshire-Vermont area to run similar Solarize campaigns, Vital Communities energy program manager Sarah Simonds said.

Simonds’s role is to collect a group of volunteers who perform outreach and debunk myths about solar energy high costs and select a solar installer for the community.

Solar installation and site visits are being conducted by Energy Emporium — a company based in Enfield — which is offering bulk purchase rates. As more solar panels installed, prices will go down.

Energy Emporium is also helping to educate potential consumers about the benefits of solar power, such as contributing to a reduced carbon footprint.

The state of New Hampshire has a tax rebate for installation of up to $3,750, while a federal tax credit of 30 percent is also offered, Hanover town manager Julia Griffin said.

Griffin said that now is a great time to invest in solar energy due to the possibility that the state rebate will not be renewed once the current funds are drained, since the federal tax credit is set to expire at the end of 2016.

The average cost for solar installation for a residential home can range from $18,000 to $19,000, but with the state rebate and federal tax credit, this price can go down to $9,975 to $10,675.

Solar power is also estimated to have an eight to 10 year payback, Simonds said, while the warranty lasts for 25 years, and the panels themselves can last longer.

In round one, 40 percent of the signed contracts came in within a week before the project deadline, Simonds said.

So far the biggest issues with the project have been getting the final contracts signed and accounting for trees in residential areas, Hanover director of public works Peter Kulbacki said. Trees might have to be cut down to install solar panels in some properties.

The low number of signed contracts thus far is likely due to the busyness of the holiday season, Kulbacki said.

In round one, 120 houses in the Upper Valley installed solar panels. Round two, as of the end of last week, has seen 92 contracts signed in the Upper Valley. Six to 10 materialized installations, Simonds said, though none of these installations have occurred in Hanover.

The Solarize movement was created in order to show people that solar power is accessible to anyone who is interested, she said.

“Through Solarize we are really demonstrating that solar is something that anyone can look into, and more people than you would think might find that it makes sense,” Simonds said.

For those residents who have yet to sign a contract, an informational meeting will be held in the Richard W. Black Recreation and Senior Center on Jan. 21. Due to the success of the program, Vital Communities is considering having a round three, Kulbacki said.

The Town of Hanover filed an application to work with Vital Communities this summer after an information session last spring, and started the implementation of the project this fall.

Dartmouth is starting to consider solar energy projects as well, director of the Dartmouth office of sustainability Rosalie Kerr said.

Currently there are several locations up for consideration for solar energy on campus: the roof of the new barn at the organic farm, some fraternities and sororities, Alumni Gym and various options for ground-mounted solar.

The next step in the process would be talking to several different installation companies and then trying to match the site of installation with the right installer.

Prior solar projects at Dartmouth include two hot water solar arrays on the President’s house and on the Sustainable Living Center.

A large solar array has yet to be put in place, but with the significant decrease in solar prices over the last decade, the idea is becoming more viable for the College, Kerr said.

“I am hoping that with current solar prices and student enthusiasm will lead to us doing something that is a really meaningful solar project,” Kerr said.