Park: A Nobel Miss

The New York Times calls her “a symbol of defiance.” Obama said she possesses “character far beyond her years.” Shakira considers her one of education’s strongest advocates. I call Malala Yousafzai a thunder stealer.

If we look at Nobel Peace Prize winners in the past, we can place them into a few distinct categories. We have those like Nelson Mandela, who have been awarded for their efforts to preserve values of freedom and democracy and to fight against injustice. We have winners like the Dalai Lama and Desmond Tutu, who were awarded for promoting peace, unification and truth throughout their lives. Others, like Mother Teresa, have been awarded to honor the legacy of a life dedicated to goodwill, charity and altruism. Then we have those awardees like Barack Obama and Yousafzai, choices that are harder to understand.

Decisions are released in October after a lengthy evaluation process by committees of different experts. According to the 1895 will of Alfred Nobel, the Nobel Peace Prize should be awarded to anyone who has worked toward the “abolition or reduction of standing armies and for the holding and promotion of peace congresses.” These broad criteria are worthy of both celebration and chastisement. The committee can honor those with honorable intentions — regardless of how much their aims for peace have materialized, it can award them for their efforts in and of themselves. However, much cause for contention comes from the criteria’s broadness.

With this in mind, it is interesting to examine who else was nominated for this year’s prize. Edward Snowden was nominated for being a voice of reason in an age where “surveillance is the latest arms race.” Denis Mukwege, who works on issues of sexual violence in war, was another uncontroversial nominee. Pope Francis was also nominated, and had he won, the prize would have raised eyebrows for the fact that he is more a symbol for peace and a voice of good rather than an individual with recognizable achievements.

I cannot respect Yousafzai as a Nobel Peace Prize laureate because, in my opinion, her achievements as an individual fall far short of those of others who have fought for the same cause. She was awarded specifically for her “struggle against the suppression of children and young people and for the right of all children to education.” But really, what achievement does she have beside rising to celebrity status after sustaining a bullet injury to the head, as the media so often reminds us? To be fair, she has made several inspirational addresses about the need to empower Pakistani girls through education and become the poster girl for a fund for girl’s education in Pakistan. But what about the women who work and strive for girls’ education in their everyday lives? Where are their chiming bells and standing ovations? Why can’t we honor less-heard voices through this prestigious prize?

I rue the day that a young girl who vaulted to celebrity status because of Western media’s fascination with martyrs wins over individuals who have dedicated much longer portions of their lives to women’s empowerment and education. But now that she’s been awarded, there are things we could do to make the best of her award. The committee must revise the criteria if only to preserve the prize as recognition for concrete achievements or a lifetime of service rather than degrade it to a symbolic humanitarian Emmy award. Also, since most committee members are Norwegian and politicians, encouraging non-Western, non-politician members may allow a greater variety of perspectives in the nomination and selection process.

I am not slamming Yousafzai. The valor and fortitude she has displayed over the past few years is simply remarkable. However, I have an issue with awarding such a great honor drawing so much international attention to a girl already publicized by the Western media. I urge Yousafzai in her address to direct the attention she’s receiving to where it’s due – to the other Pakistani women whose work for women’s education go unrecognized. She must also use this opportunity to reveal unfiltered truths and realities about women’s education to the Western world. It’s a chance for her to show the world that she’s more than the Joan of Arc for women’s rights and that she will continue to fight for women’s education in the developing world.