Women’s golf finishes third at home tournament

9.15.14.sports.wgolfhoriz
9.15.14.sports.wgolfhoriz

The women’s golf team came in third in the Dartmouth Invitational, the team’s only home tournament this season. Jane Lee ’15 and Isabelle Kane ’18, who respectively tied for seventh and 12th, led the way to the bronze.

Lee shot a two-day total of 151 (+7), cementing her place at the top of the team. Going forward, she said, she looks to improve her putting.

“I had two good rounds, but there were a lot of chances for me to play better,” she said. “I missed some short putts, but I had a few birdies too.”

Kane teed up this weekend for her first collegiate tournament and managed a 154 (+10) over the two days, playing in the second spot for the Big Green.

But in her head, she said, “it was just another round of golf.”

“I wasn’t trying to put too much pressure on myself,” she said. “It was a long day with the rain, but I just stuck with the process and tried to not overthink the situation and do what I know I can do.”

Boston University won the tournament with a total of 595, 22 shots clear of the Big Green. Boston College placed second, just four strokes ahead of the Dartmouth women. The Big Green had three first-year students playing of their five scoring golfers, which Kane said shows the team’s depth.

“Having a bunch of great players on our team promotes competition that you might not have had if you have just one or two good players,” she said.

The weather difference between the first and second days was immense — Saturday was cold and wet, while Sunday was sunny. Despite the much improved conditions, the team only managed to shoot one shot better — 308 versus 309 on Saturday.

But Lee said that the mental difference was great.

“Even not wearing as many layers made me feel better,” she said. “Not having to worry about my clubs or my bag getting wet helped me on the course.”

The team next heads to Annapolis, Maryland, for the Navy Invitational.

“The freshmen will get a little more settled and get used to college,” Lee said. “They weren’t able to perform fully at this tournament, and their scores were a little better this summer.”