Michael Kiefer starts in new senior fundraising role

The College filled a new senior fundraising position on Tuesday, appointing Michael Kiefer as vice president for presidential initiatives and principal gifts.

Kiefer began work Tuesday in the advancement division, an umbrella office for alumni relations, development and conferences and events, according to a College press release published the same day.

Working with senior vice president for advancement Bob Lasher, Kiefer will advise College President Phil Hanlon, Provost Carolyn Dever and College deans on ways to "cultivate, solicit and steward gifts in support of Dartmouth," according to the press release.

Kiefer spent five years as vice president for institutional advancement at Haverford College, resigning last December to pursue an interest in international affairs, according to a Haverford press release.

His appointment follows a historic year in College fundraising. Hanlon announced in April that Dartmouth received a $100 million anonymous donation, the largest single donation in College history. In 2013, Dartmouth's donation rate reached 44.5 percent, behind only Princeton University in the Ivy League.

Former College President Jim Yong Kim created the advancement division in 2010 in an effort to strengthen Dartmouth's image and engage alumni.

Lasher began leading the advancement division in July 2013, the first senior administrator appointed to serve under Hanlon.

Prior to his work at Haverford, Kiefer filled similar positions at Amherst College and McGill University. He received a bachelor's degree in English and religion from La Salle University and a master's degree in theology from Boston College.

The College is also seeking a vice president for development, who would join Lasher, Kiefer, chief operating officer for advancement Ann Root Keith and vice president for alumni relations Martha Beattie on the advancement division's senior leadership team, according to a job positing on the website of search firm Isaacson, Miller.