Investigation to follow assault in '53 Commons

Hanover Police was called to the Class of 1953 Commons Thursday evening at 7:10 p.m.to investigate an alleged simpleassault, Hanover police chief Charlie Dennis said. Nobody has been taken into custody.

Media relations officer Diana Lawrence said the altercation allegedly occurred between a Dartmouth Dining Services employee with a developmental disorder and hislifecoach, who shadows the employee.

The College issued a trespass letter to the employee, she said.The life coach was not treated, she said, and the human resources officewilldetermine if the employee is a threat to others following a review. If he is determined not to be a threat to others, he will return to the College.

Dennis said he hopes to wrap up the investigation within a week.

"I don't think it'll be too complicated or of complex an investigation," he said.

New Hampshire law dictates that someone be charged with simple assault if the individual causes bodily injury to another person, either purposely, recklessly or negligently.

A Safety and Security official declined to comment because Harry Kinne, who is out of the office July 25, is the only member of the office permitted to speak with the press. Safety and Security officers were present at the scene Thursday evening.

Dartmouth Dining Services associate director Don Reed declined to comment on Friday morning, citing a lack of information about the incident.

This article will be updated as more information is available.