Bradley to begin as survivor advocate

Benjamin Bradley will join the College as a survivor advocate on Aug. 1.

The College hired Benjamin Bradley, a Virginia-based social worker,as survivor advocate. In this position, which he will assume on Aug. 1, he will help survivors of sexual assault navigate the various reporting options and provide them with information of available resources.

Bradley could not be reached for comment. He will not be available for comment until he finishes transitioning into his current position, health promotion and student wellness director Aurora Matzkin said.

Bradley received his bachelor’s degree in social work from Syracuse University, where he received the “Bachelor of Science Social Work Award” for his commitment to social justice, according to the College’s announcement. He received a master’s degree in social work from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.

Bradley previously visited the College earlier this month for the Summit on Sexual Assault.

Since 2012, he has served as a social services specialist for the Fairfax County government, where he investigated reports of neglect and sexual abuse of older adults and people with disabilities, in addition to executing other social work.

In a November speech to the faculty, Hanlon announced the creation of a survivor advocate position as part of his administrative’s push to support survivors and improve reporting of sexual assault.

Murylo Batista ’15, a member of the survivor advocate search panel, said he felt that Bradley will successfully navigate the campus sexual assault resources due to his experience as a social worker.

“He has demonstrated the intuition needed to support someone,” Batista said. “He can help the survivor navigate through those options and what those options mean.”

Survivor advocates help survivors of sexual assault understand what different options are available to them and how to pursue those options, Batista said, adding that an advocate must balance a desire to help survivors with the need to respect survivor’s wishes.

A survivor advocate will differ from a SAAP coordinator because an advocate will focus only on working with survivors, instead of on programming and education, Batista said.

“It’s a difficult job to say ‘Hmmm, this would work better,’ but having the survivor say, ‘No,’” he said. “You have to be able to stand by that person and navigate them through the bureaucracy.”

John Damianos ’16, a member of the Student and Presidential Committee on Sexual Assault, said that a survivor advocate must be careful not to infringe on a survivor’s personal agency.

“We don’t force a plan of action on a survivor,” he said. “Sexual assault is taking away agency, and if the survivor comes to an advocate and the same thing happens, in effect, they’re doing the same thing.”

The committee sought someone who uses an “empowerment model” and focuses on listening to what survivors need, women’s and gender studies professor Giavanna Munafo wrote in an email.

Bradley’s background of working with a wide variety of individuals made him a strong candidate, she wrote, noting that his experience has helped him develop a nuanced understanding of sexual assault and domestic violence. Bradley is also a “remarkably good listener,” she wrote.

She wrote that Bradley is prepared to work with communities that have diversity across sex, gender, race, religion, ability and class.

Kathleen Vanni ’15, a member of Movement Against Violence, hailed the decision as a move in the right direction for the College’s handling of sexual assault.

Adding the position of a survivor advocate sends the message that the College cares about responding to sexual assault, Damianos said.

Having more administrators who focus solely on sexual assault can allow for more attention to the issue, which can lead to tangible change, Batista said.

“He will be someone who is there at all times who doesn’t have to drop a million other duties,” he said. “Because his main duties are to students, it will make a difference with them.”

MAV member David Garcia ’16 said he hopes the survivor advocate will bridge the gap between efforts of administrators and students.

He said he hopes the decision marks a departure from previous College efforts to combat assault that emphasized “lofty ideas” rather than concrete changes.

He noted, however, that he remains wary.

“It’s one of those things where you’ll believe it if you see it,” he said.

He added that hiring Bradley could mark an attempt to garner positive press.

Garcia also said he believes that Bradley, as a man, could understand male perspectives and thereby combat sexual assault more effectively. But he said that he would have preferred a “panel” of assault advocates from differing backgrounds, noting that women are disproportionately victims of sexual assault.Bradley’s appointment emphasizes that anyone, regardless of gender, can support survivors of assault, Vanni said.

“It’s something that affects everyone and isn’t limited to one particular gender,” she said.

Munafo and Batista also noted that Bradley’s personality will help him connect with students and survivors.

“[Bradley’s] exceptionally calm personality and open, generous communication style impressed me a great deal,” Munafo wrote. “I value that kind of presence in colleagues.”

SAAP coordinator Amanda Childress, who was away from the College this week, could not be reached for comment by press time.

Charlie Rafkin contributed reporting.