Souba to leave Geisel after one term as dean

Geisel School of Medicine dean Wiley “Chip” Souba will not seek reappointment to a second four-year term, College President Phil Hanlon announced this morning. Souba plans to continue to work in medical education at Geisel.

During Souba’s tenure, Geisel saw new initiatives — and a new name.

In June 2011, Souba spearheaded the 20x20 strategic plan to push Geisel, then known as Dartmouth Medical School, into the country’s top 20 medical schools by 2020.

This past year, Geisel jumped to 18th in the U.S. News and World Report’s 2015 medical school rankings for primary care, up 13 spots from last year’s report. The school also rose in the research rankings, from 38 to 34 from 2014 to 2015.

In February, Souba decided to suspend Geisel’s M.D./Ph.D. program, prompting outcry from many students, staff, alumni and faculty. He reversed the decision later that month, reinstating the program for at least two years.

Souba came to Geisel in 2010 after working as a surgical oncologist at Ohio State University, chief of surgical oncology at Massachusetts General Hospital and professor of surgery at Harvard Medical School.

After Dean of the College Charlotte Johnson officially departs at the end of this month, seven senior positions in Hanlon's administration will have changed leadership.

Plans for an interim dean, who will begin at the end of June, will be announced soon, Hanlon wrote in his emailed announcement.