Football win to Princeton named year's best moment

With 38 percent of the vote, nearly 20 percent more than the second-place finisher, the Big Green football team's season finale at home against Princeton University was voted the best moment of the year for Dartmouth athletics.

When Princeton stepped onto Memorial Field in late November, its team was trumpeted as one of the best in Tiger history with the Big Green as the only holdout toa perfect Ivy League season.

“They were the most prolific offense in Ivy League history,” co-captain Bronson Green ’14 said. “We knew we were basically out of contention for the Ivy League Championship, but we felt that we deserved to be in that same conversation, so to us, it was a championship game.”

As snow flurries began to blanket the field, quarterback Dalyn Williams ’16 scored on a 17-yard run to take a 28-21 lead for Dartmouth with less than five minutes left in the third. The Tigers clawed their way to the 1-yard line in the fourth quarter, crumbled against the Big Green’s defense, who twice stopped Princeton on third and goal after a false start sent the Tigers back five yards.

After a Garrett Waggoner ’13 interception with 24 seconds on the clock sealed the game, Dartmouth walked off the field with a 28-24 victory over the Tigers, winning the last game for many seniors and ruining Princeton’s spotless Ivy record — all amid drifts of snow.

Thank you for your participation all spring and we look forward to covering another exciting year of Big Green sports starting in the fall.