Zupan ’14 voted best male athlete

5.12.14.sports.nate
5.12.14.sports.nate

Thanks to a popular vote with over 500 ballots cast, Nejc Zupan ’14 was voted Dartmouth’s best male athlete of 2013-14, taking 32 percent of the vote.

Zupan concluded his historic Dartmouth career with another season full of championships and pool records. The senior was named Harold Ulen Career High Point Swimmer at the Ivy League Championships for tallying 361 points in four seasons at Dartmouth. He defended his title in the 200-yard breaststroke and added an Ivy Championship in 100-yard breaststroke for his sixth and seventh career Ivy titles.

“It was sort of a closure to the four years of competition I had with the team,” he said of his competition in the 200 breaststroke at the Ivy championships.

Both times marked new pool records at Harvard University’s Blodgett Pool. Zupan also finished 13th in the 100-yard breaststroke at NCAAs despite missing the A final after falling in a swim-off for the eighth spot. He finished 18th in the 200-yard breaststroke. Zupan also won academic All-Ivy honors.

Head coach Jim Wilson said Zupan “moved us to a position to be competitive in the Ivy League,” noting that the team had perennially been in last place, but that Zupan inspired the team to continue to improve.

The nominees for this week’s category of ‘best female athlete’ will be announced on Wednesday with voting running through the weekend.